1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Phone number on truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by vintage steel, Dec 9, 2011.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I am considering putting my phone number very large on both sides of my plow truck and parking it in front of my shop when not in use. Having never ran a plow truck before I don't know if this is worth it or not. I have excellent frontage at my shop, I just don't know if people call the number off the side of a truck. I was screwing around and roughed it out in chalk, the numbers look a bit crowded, I would redo and re space them, you get the idea. Do you think this is worth while or not? Has any one here gotten "cold calls" off the number on your truck?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

In 6 years I think I've gotten one known call off my truck, for landscaping services.

That one call though landed me a 6k patio job though.......

So is it worth it. Sure, it's cheap/free advertising. If you don't want to paint the numbers on though you could always get some vinyl lettering done.

3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I usually get about 5 calls per year off the phone number on my mowing truck.

I don't have my number on the plow trucks (yet) so can't give details on that yet. I would go with vinyl lettering if I were you though... much easier to change if your number changes, and easier to take off to sell the truck
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I consider our cube vans to be moving billboards. We have our "logo" with phone number in huge letters on the side of them. Occasionally people will mention on the phone "I saw your guys mowing over there on....they do a good job"
  5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Its not necessarily that they will call directly off the number on the truck, especially if that's all there is, but its about them recognizing your truck. Then maybe google your company, or old school yellow pages lookup. If they see you out doing a good job they might consider you next year or if their current lowballer stops showing up.

Long story short, Branding a Truck is key, but get more then just a phone number on there.
  6. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Name and number. Brand recognition. Do NOT paint it on there. You can have a sign shop print it out and you can apply it yourself. You can do it online also. Their is a website that you can put your year and make/model and you can play around with the look and see exactly what it looks like. Even if you decide to paint it/do it yourself, you can get a visual.
  7. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

What is that website?? I would like to play with some ideas. I'm about to turn my truck into a billboard.

I have plainish lettering now (enough to make me legal), and have received a few calls.

The reason I want to do it, is mainly the shovel trucks. they are parked in front of my clients, while we snowblow them.
  8. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

One is Designasign.com
  9. DodgeBlizzard

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I think it is a good idea to put it on your truck. I also think some nice looking signage in front of your business would also be good.
  11. DodgeBlizzard

Believe it or not, I purchased one of those cricut expressions at Walmart for the girlfriend. I purchased some reflective vinyl on ebay. Hook the cricut up to the computer and cut my own vinyl. We letter the trucks, trailers, make our own yard signs, etc. We just do it during any down time. It's quite fun actually. I get compliments all the time.
  12. DodgeBlizzard

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have my 800 # on my trucks and it works quite well.

FYI I called you collect to see if you'll come plow my drive in Canada and you didn't answer.(JK) I like it on your truck, probably shouldn't put it on the internet.:laughing:
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Call me anal, but i think Anything other than vinyl signs are tacky.
    Even magnetic signs dont look too good i say.

I have enclosed trailers for the summer that we pull and they are literally Rolling Billboards. Many calls off of them.

On my personal/ winter work truck I have my logo, phone #, and USDOT number vinyled on the back 2 windows.

Looks slick if you ask me!
    Especially since we never get too much business from the number during the winter. Usually its a "hey can you do my driveway"
  15. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Got Company Name and Phone Number on the doors of my truck. We get a few calls from them but it just looks better when you show up on someones lot not looking like Joe Shmo with a plow on the front but an actual business coming to clear snow. :D
  16. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Sub d for more info and pics
  17. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Defiantly need it on the truck with company name and website if you have it, Sitting in traffic, driving around, you just never know when it will pay off but it will. I will be getting my wife's car lettered up next month and I am working on the rolling billboard (cargo van).
  18. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Something on your truck helps you explain your way when it's creaping around at 3am as well. I've had to get out at some shady places and walk around a bit and glad I had something to show some legitamacy.
  19. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i would use magnets
  20. DodgeBlizzard

Don't use magnets. They look cheap. They get dirt behind them and scratch your truck. Use vinyl lettering.