1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Phone book listing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Sno, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Any one remember when they were not listed in the yellow pages?

How much increase did you realize from an add in the yellow pages or even upgrading the adds??

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If you run the big ads i think that they will place a tracker on there to see how many people call.they put like another number that is only listed in the book to see who calls.That is the only way unless you ask every one who calls where they got your name.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Waste of money IMO. I have never had a yellow page listing or really any other advertising. Word of mouth is the bestadvertising that you can get. Every fall I get more calls for snowplowing then I can get to. Maybe a yellow page ad would increase this if I wanted but who would I attract? I try to stay in a certain area and attract a certain customer, almost every person says "I got you name from..." That is what I like to here. A referall means your current customer appreciates your work enough to refer you to his/her friends.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yellow pages ads are expensive,and take quite a few new customers to pay for themselves.I have never really advertised,and don't have a problem getting new business or keeping busy,through refferals and word of mouth.

Most of the business you'll pull out of the yellow pages will be residential stuff,so if that's what your targeting,it may just work.
  5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

These are not the responses I expected. Making me think....
  6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I too have considered yellow pages, and skipped it. cost and the kind of customers you get. But I am going to try something new this year. Since we are almost completely commercial, I am going to have signs made like small yard type political signs. they will feature my logo and say something like:
    Snowplowing and Ice Prevention by
    Care Enterprises
    Serving Conifer since 1992
    I already have preliminary permission to put the signs in front of my key customers entrances.
    The idea is a little name recognition and kind of word of mouth without the mouth. If people like our work maybe they will call us.
    I'll start a thread on this subject closer to season.;)
  7. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Excellent idea!
  8. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

I would be nervous putting my name right in front of people. Around here people would see the name and number and say, "Yea I just fell in your lot here, what are you going to do"? Even though your work may be excellent.....
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I run an ad just slightly larger than the free listing for my landscape business. I wasn't necessarily looking to increase business by it, I usually am running 3 months out, but I wanted to legitimize myself to the people new to the area. Lots of gypsies here in landscaping.

The ad runs about $75/month.

For plowing, remember you have to pay a full year's premium for 3 months of results.
  10. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Good point.
  11. indianabc

indianabc Member

If you want your phone to ring

My experience in the yellow pages is as a contractor not for snow plowing. The yellow page add made the phone ring. Did not make us much money but boy did it make the phone ring. People shopping for prices, asking questions, and so one. A lot of time for bids that turned into to nothing. Word of mouth and referral are the best sources for me!
  12. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Thanks IndianaABC,
    Sounds like we do about the same thing.

I know what you mean about wasted time on bids and questions.

How is business right now in Indiana? Phone been ringing ?
  13. indianabc

indianabc Member

I just checked out your website - it looks like we do the exact same thing! It is has been an OK year for the business but am worried a little about the winter - hence why I am starting to plow.

I am also looking into getting more into lawn cutting next year. I do some rental properties now - but I am not really set up for it. I am just using a riding lawn tractor, I am hoping to get a good deal on a riding ZTR mower this winter.

14. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Where at in Indiana?

Maybe we can cross sub in a pinch?

Email me