1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Phone book advertising?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Mick76, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

How many of you still use the phone book to advertise your biz?

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

We have what's called a large print phone book that goes out and I get alot of residential calls from it.

3. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

It's a complete waste of money to do that in my neck of the woods. I'm in the 3rd largest market area in the country.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The phone book I'm talking about is only for a local area of 25000 people.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I do a local phone that is printed for my town. It's like a bible for old people.I do get calls from it for small commercial places,

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

No.

We are after mostly medium to large commercial properties (or small properties next to those)....they aren't picking up the phone book looking for someone to call, they are inundated with incoming calls.

7. amitdhir

amitdhir Junior Member
    from Ontario

I've never used the phone book to advertise. Now that many people use computer, phone books are usually discarded when we get them at our doorstep! Thats just how it is in my town.

I'd love to try advertising there, but I'd be aggravated when I find out that what I pay for goes to the trash.

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I hate writing a check for the phonebook but i did it anyway
    Thats MY problem with the phonebook...I dont want resis (nothing wrong with them, they're just not in my business model) Darn phone rings off the hook with the resis' and one timers (complete waste of my time)

I personally havnt got one call for a commercial application from the phone book in over 10 years of being in it......I just do it for "brand recognization".... I think my lettered trucks and lettered equipment get the most attention anyway....

Same here.... I think this will be my last year for the jolly "old" phonebook.....

I do get calls from them (we actually have two in our town) just not the RIGHT type of calls

Anyone else like to share their opinions?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I use it to get people to my website. I hate paying all year for an ad that only get action 2/3 months of the year.

10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I assume its Chicagoland? I am in the phone book for my full time business. Not for plowing though. I still have a lot of old customers that use the phone books. But we have been tracking the calls and we get less and less every year. Thats why our phone book ads get smaller and smaller every year. But I wouldn't be able to do without them completely. There is still a small market for the book. You just have to weigh out the payoff.

11. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, Chicagoland & NW Indiana, that is correct.

We used to be in the phone books here in NWI & the adjacent areas across the border in "The Peoples Republik of Illinois" :jester:

The ROI totally sucked. There's too many other contractors advertising in the same pages that we were. When you are 1 of over 50 contractors listed, the phones weren't ringing off the hook.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012