1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Phila area snow trigger poll

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by roblandscape, Jan 29, 2003.

?

What do you consider a plowable snow

1. half inch to 1 inch

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 2 inch

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. 3 inch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

What do you consider a plowable snow?

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

All depends on the customer's expectations\needs. If they want 1" plowed & want to pay for that service, we will use that trigger for those customers. Salt will easily melt 1 or so inches, or at least keep it from being icy & slippery underneath. Pushing a plow across a lot with around 1" hardly does anything and seems a waste of time & money to me. Also pushing the 1" off sometimes leaves a slippery, icy situation until the salt gets applied & starts working on it. Whereas leaving the 1" actually provides some traction until the salt melts the snow. Most of my contracts are 2" triggers for plowing. But if its barely 2", and conditions seem like salting will work, I won't waste my customer's money by pushing 2" when I can maintain safe access & melt the snow with salting. (Disclaimer: not every 2" snow fall can be melted with salt only, but I did do that 2 weeks ago with success)

3. plowman

plowman Junior Member

most of my custmers whant 1"plowed because of people oh! and salted if not people like the slip and fall case .so they don"t want there insurance going up .this is commercial only .for driver ways i have cusmtmers call ,most only want it when its over 3":drinkup: