1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PettiBone to plow?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by sk187, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Has anyone ever used a Pettibone type machine for commercial plowing?

I currently use all loaders but a family member has 4 Pettibones that just sit all winter.

They are all open cab, so I would need to buy some preman cab for it.

I am just wondering how they preform and if its even worth bothering with it, i figured I could leave them on jobs that occasionally need a big machine.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

BTW: Its a b-66 They look older but similar to this http://www.pettibonezone.com/prod_traverse.html
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Funny that you mention that, I have a friend that has 3 Lulls just sitting around. I was wondering the same thing. I have seen one with a 3 yard bucket used before. It looked like it worked ok, but trying is believing.
  3. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

The bobcat verahandlers do well in the snow. We had a leased one last year and it worked out great. Pretty much the same thing as a pettibone or lull. Just dont put to big of a box or blade on it. 12ft or so max depending on the HP.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i use an 883 Gehl and it works fine with a 12 pusher. also use it to load salt with....btw an 883 is a 8,000 lb unit with a 4cyl john deere that weighs about 23,500
  5. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Does anyone know if they make winter cabs for this type of machine?

All of mine are open cab, and thats no fun in the winter.

Thanks for the help so far
  6. Jay brown

we bought our enclosure from the dealer about 8 years ago....it was basically a door with window, front glass/wiper and top glass, and a heater. also got a bucket too all for about $8000 with the labor......
  7. GTMN

GTMN Member

Bending a boom on a telehandler could be a very costly fix... Just my .02.
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Ask JD Dave, he used to plow with one I think.
  9. Jay brown

i don't see how you could bend a boom plowing knock on wood......i've broke a plow box chain so far