1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves while plowing??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by quincy33, Feb 13, 2004.

1. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

We all have pet peeves while plowing or driving, mine is people that don't turn on their headlights, it could 7:00am and snowing and people still don't turn on their lights, drives me crazy!!! how bout you, what are your pet peeves, People parking where you're plowing? Salter light not working when salting? Can't start engine in V-box?
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My pet peeves are with my crews. Always seem to miss those little things that the customer has requested. . Like plowing off the sidewalk, don't have to get out of the truck just scrape off what you can get. They (the customer) get the rest.Takes about a minute for us, takes them about 20 min with the blower...Chuck
  3. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Exactly, last storm i told my guy turn snowblower into shrubs, not onto the parking lot, cuz i just plowed it and know i'm salting it, so he does the opposite and blows all the sidewalk snow back onto the parking lot.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Thats why I carry a rubber hose with me. It hurts pretty bad when frozen...Chuck
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

LOL Chuck :D

Cars in general......I hate running around in traffic......I'm happy as a clam in a big lot with no cars buzzing aound at 4am but get me in a wendys at 5pm and I'm ready to kill someone. Mostly becuse some people are so stupid and seem like they try to get in the way.
  6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Definitely people who park right where you are piling snow or away from all the other cars... Most people have the common courtesy to try to park all in one group, but there's always that guy that parks all the way off where you are windrowing and you have to totally change your plan of attack to get around him.

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

People that leave their cars parked in lots overnight and for days on end, people that have to park where you haven't been yet, people that go through your cones into an area that you haven't plowed yet, people that pull up to you in front of you while you are plowing and expect you to move and let them through, people that cut through lots that you are plowing, people that pull right up behind you while you are plowing and you don't see them (even though you have flashers and beacons on), just idiots that are in your way in general. And one of my favorites is the home owner that calls, wonders where you are, you tell them that you'll be there in an hour or whatever, and when you show up, every car that they own is sitting in the driveway, turnaround or wherever and the garage is empty.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't get too upset about drivers on the roads you expect them to be stupid. The thing that makes me the maddest while plowing is cars parked on the street. at one drive i plow the next door neighbor always leaves his car on the street (which is against town bylaw snow or no snow) so when the town comes to plow they have to start moving away from the drive i plow to go around the car. In big storms this leaves a huge windrow alomost in the middle of the street which is harder to push in to a pile especially with the dumb a$$es car parked in what would be the perfect place to stack. I cant get a good angle to stack on the other side of the drive either so i end up pushing the snow all over the place just to find a place to pile it. Last december i decided to BURY this car so i did just that:D You could not even see the top of it i stacked the snow up so high around it. I have no clue how he got the car out but half the pile i made is still there. He parks his car in the driveway now sice i also called the cops and told them what a "safety hazard it was".

When someone pisses me off with the location of their car and i know they know better and just don't care i always bury them. I think we go too hard on some people who park there cars in the "wrong places" in lots that we plow. Some of it is common sense but not everyone understands snowplowing and knows what to do and what not to do.
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is when you are waiting to back into a road to plow, and a car comes along and slows way down. All the while you are waiting for them to get out of your way and they keep slowing down.
  10. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Oh it's parked cars!!

The rest of it I can deal with,
    Remember the idiots are here to amuse you not annoy you.
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Without a doubt, it has to people who park right where your working or soon will be. I was taught to open up the access to the place and then work from close to the building --->out. I will always make a nice cleared close to the building area first. But,No think they will take the bait? They just park where ever they land! Why wade through snow? I made them a nice cleared area with parking and a cleared walk to the door. I see this with drug stores all the way up to the big box Target / Best Buy kinds of stores.
  12. 04superduty

Time to get a tranquilizer gun, knock them out, move there car, then put them in the car with a bottle of alcohol. They will think they drank to much. JK ( dont actually try this) :D :D
  13. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

The window watcher

How about the idiot that look's out his/her window to see you plowing,and does not come out to move their car's,and then when your finaly done with the plow rout and are headed for home for sleep time,and they call,and say we moved the car's,and can you come back and finish.EEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  14. 04superduty

I would go back and charge them accordingly. If you have a your minimun of an hour, then charge them the full hour. Even if it only takes 15 minutes. Try to explain beforehand and hopefully before a night of plowing. I have noticed my brain gets alittle slow after 20 hrs and my temper is alot shorter. Listen your #@$#@##@ i am not going to drive all the way back over here because you are a moron. :D :D
  15. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

This is my newest- Only a few days old

The manager of your largest account can not be reasoned with. She trys to please her boss, and her tenents. The tenents think that all the snow should disapear. They don't realize that when it snows 6 times in 2-3 weeks, and temps are cold. Nothing melts. They complain to the manger that they have to walk in the snow(between cars). The manager will not put them in their place, and blams you for it. you repley that you can hand shovel these areas but it will cost. Then they say they are over budget and can't afford to have it shoveled, but some how expect the plow guy to remove it, all of it, for free. At the end of that conversation they add, please take a look at the bill and adjust it because not all the snow is removed.

My answer is to bill the f#(% out of them, and don't have them as a customer ever again.
  16. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

a client that parks their BMW dead center at the bottom of there hilly driveway with exactly 9' on each side of it and then go to work, leaving an empty garage.

Also, someone who doesn't want to pay for sanding, and also doesn't think that a steep driveway covered with ice is a problem, and doesn't bother sanding it themselves either...I fell under my truck ject stepping out at this place, the driveway looked like an iceskating rink after plowing.

Also new customers that call after the whole storm is over, and it's turned to ice, only to say that the guy that quit told them 2 weeks ago and they just didn't have time to call me. Granted we do charge more if we have to run back out for one of these.
  17. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Parked cars in a parking lot overnight or days on end and people who decide to park where I'm plowing.:gunsfiring:
  18. bcf

bcf Senior Member

When you know it won't accumulate over the trigger, but will all turn to ice, so you call all of your customers and they decline. Next time there is a sheet of ice. You can charge more, but it's not as profitable, and a lot more stressful. :angry:

But the worst is people who cleanoff eyeholes on their windows, but leave 6" of snow on the roof, hood, and trunk, as well as the rest of the windows. I hate driving down the road just to get a bunch of snow flying off of the car in front of me onto my windshield.:gunsfiring:
  19. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I have one that really ticks me off. When im plowing in a narrow area and a car pops up behind me need to get by. Well me being the polite driver moves out of the way and then they park their car right where i was working. I mean comon they saw me working their.:realmad: :realmad: :gunsfiring: Dumb Drivers
  20. meterman95

meterman95 Junior Member

I plow the lot where I work my full time job. There is this one guy who is a total fool who thinks he has to come to work early when there is a large storm. Where does he park ? Right at the end of the lot not cleared yet ! Just because it is where he usually parks as if there were assigned parking spaces. Also makes a big deal when the maint. supervisor asks him to move it. Next time he is getting burried.:gunsfiring: