1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pet friendly ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PSDnate, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PSDnate

PSDnate Junior Member

I have a residential costumer who requested pet friendly ice melt. I use a mag chloride on other costumers driveways and walks. It does not say anything on the label about pets. Do any of you use pet friendly ice melt? If so what?

2. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Is there such a thing? maybe mollases? Is salt unfriendly ? except to concrete

3. Kickin Grass

Kickin Grass Member

Hey got something for you. It's call "Smokin' Hot" Pink Deicer! That's no BS either. It's make in Michigan. Use it by the pallet. Price is pretty good also. Here's the web site: www.HOTPINKDEICER.com. And it's pink

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Magic salt is supposed to be pet friendly.

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Rule of thumb...If it'll burn your hands, it'll burn their paws. I'd recommend sand or paw boots...

Dog-Paw-Protectors-293x300.jpg

6. Mass-hole

Mass-hole Member
    from Boston

Magnesium Chloride is what you want.

7. PSDnate

PSDnate Junior Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I've seen ice melt at pet stores before that are suppose to be pet friendly but it's pretty expensive. Has anyone tried any of that? I might have to check with my supplier tomorrow and see if they have anything.

8. rrplowing

rrplowing Junior Member

Pet friendly de-icer

yes, I use MagicSalt. Its safe for pets, works fast, last long, and has a risidual effect.

9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

"Road Runner" from Scotwood Industries, Inc. is magnesium chloride, with some of the other chlorides mixed in. I bought the 12 lb. jug a year or two ago; didn't know until I looked at their Web site that they have it in larger sizes. (Bags, boxes and pails.) I think I found it at a local hardware store that also has a pet center.
    The label says to wear gloves when handling it, and like most chemical melters, it's not good for precast concrete. I think it's supposed to work down to -15° F.

Seems to do a good job on ice, and I haven't had any complaints from our two Labs. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. PSDnate

PSDnate Junior Member

Mainetrain thats the stuff I use. There eco friendly mag pellets. Thanks for the link.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Magic Salt and their claims are a bunch of BS as far as I'm concerned. Their mix still contains salt and I do believe Ca.

It the distillers bi-product they add that neutralizes some of the affects of salt and calcium, but again you sill have salt and Ca in the mix.

12. PSDnate

PSDnate Junior Member

Well I talked to the guy today again and the mag chloride isn't safe enough for him. He said he'll just use kitty litter.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The best thing to do is look at the MSDS to give you an idea of what your throwing down is/does. I give one to every customer that gets a deicer treatment, it's a way to protect yourself and educate the customer.
    I use Morgro Sno-Plow http://www.morgro.com/content/?page=sno plow logo , they say it's non toxic and the MSDS back it's up.

14. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I don't think its Ca I think it is mag but I could be wrong.

15. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Regardless, it's not the most "organic", or "safe" brew that they have concocted.

16. MARK SUPPLY

MARK SUPPLY Member

I have used Safe Paw before it works great and the pets didn't complain, but the price gets out of hand pretty quick. Most of the other brands just say when used as directed.

17. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Would floor dry be less money and as good or better?

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

He sounds like a PITA, the better idea is to drop him.

19. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Isn't PETA?

People Eating Tasty Animals

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes it is and I am one of those too. PITA = Pain In The @ss