1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

personal truck Decals????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well just got a new 2500 Bout to get the plow installed for it and have one of my drivers use it in the winter. Since its my personal truck im still debating on putting decals on it or not.... But my driver insist on having the truck completely legal, giving cops absolutely no reason to pull him over. (yes he is legit/legal)

I think the magnets look tacky.. no offense

what do you guys do???
    Really just dont want to have anything that stands out too much. All the other trucks are decked out So im not too worried about advertisement.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I have my name, city and USDOT number on my personal truck, but in the same color as the truck, so it doesn't stand out.

However, if I need it for work, it's legal.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well simply, if "driver" is using it I guess it's not a personal truck any more.

4. nixray

nixray Senior Member

maybe just smaller window decals, (Maybe even static cling, they can be reused)

5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I had to go to magnets this season.......

2011-10-27_17-08-50_258.jpg

6. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

i wouldnt let a driver drive my personal truck...i dont trust anyone hahah

7. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

8. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

from MDOT:

. Question: What are the requirements for lettering my vehicle?

Answer: 49 CFR part 390.21 states the marking must display the following information:
    - The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the selfpropelled CMV, as listed on the motor carrier identification report (Form MCS–150)
    - The motor carrier identification number issued by the FMCSA, preceded by the letters
    "USDOT"
    - If the name of any person other than the operating carrier appears on the CMV, the
    name of the operating carrier must be followed by the information required in the
    above paragraphs, and be preceded by the words "operated by"
    - Be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are
    placed;
    - Be readily legible, during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet (15.24 meters)
    while the CMV is stationary; and

9. Plow man Foster

yeah... think im gonna do this. Get the 2 back, side windows done. Company name, phone number and a usdot number

10. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Do what my boss did on his personal crew cab F-350. Small USDOT number on front doors by the rocker panels and company name on the rear side doors in small lettering that can be hidden when rolled down 2".

11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

This goes for both landscaping and plowing season....I just have my DOT numbers, as small as possible, and in dark silver (against a navy blue truck), on the very very bottom of the door. They are there and legal, just not noticeable. My name is nowhere on the truck. Reason being, number one I tend to drive like a dick when I get agitated, and more importantly sometimes I just dont need the publicity. I dont need people saying "Oh I saw the Richardsons Landscaping truck at the bar the other night!" or something like that.

12. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

i fully letter my personal truck....im proud of the company i own and want everyone to know its my company....

13. Plow man Foster

Ahahahah Exactly what i think! I hate when im pulling the 20-24' Enclosed (Rolling Billboard) and get behind a lady Thats putting on makeup of something. Now i have to reframe my self from honking... The one time i do honk, its either a customer or a person who calls the number on the trailer. Then i have to answer the call and pretend like im not the one driving! lol

It really comes down to: When im off work i want some freedom... I dont want to be the one rolling up to the "landscaper Truck!" So far i have 2 trucks that dont have lettering on them. These trucks only REALLY move for snow/ get put to work. The reason is.. When im off work i want to jump into a "clean" Truck not one that smells like Grass and "spoiled tacos" <<Inside joke...(LONG STORY!)

Lol well i cant drive 2 trucks! Lets just say im not gonna let my workers drive a 100k truck.

Those actually dont look bad. I had Magnets like those on this truck too, just on the back doors. Some magnets dont look as professional though.