1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Plow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ole JIM, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I just re-built my 88 Dodge 4X4 short bed--& Plow my driveway & my Sons & keep the Taxi Co my Son leases His Cab too Cleaned UP! & people Ask ME? if I*LL Plow their Yards?--NO!--SORRY Contact the Guys that PLow for a Living!--We have only had a couple of Snow Storms that Needed Plowing!--two three inch of Fluff-pretty Slipery Though!--& I have Noticed!-in just a couple of Weeks! of My Turning Down plowing Private yards!--the Local PRO Plowers Chat w/ME! at the Local Coffee Shop & give the Cold Shoulder to YOU know Who? & Yesterday I was Stopped on the Side of the Road--Streightening Out Junk in my Bed that was slidding around--& Two differant Pro Plowers Stopped to See if I was OK?--pretty NICE! I thought! HEY! Every-bodies got to Make a LIVING!--Ole JIM--

2. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

HEY--++I*ll saY IT aGAIN--++ DID yOU *learN* PROPER grammAR &* in school**?

3. caz1

caz1 Member

does it really mater i made it out just fine

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iowa
    HEY--++I*ll saY IT aGAIN--++ DID yOU *learN* PROPER grammAR &* in school**?

does it really mater i made it out just fine

I can read it but it hurts my eyes.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I can understand him fine. Cut him some slack he is 70 years old. He knows what he is talking about and i for one enjoy listening to him, he has good things to say. He does not come across as stupid at all.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

His posts are always very difficult to read, however, someone said he uses WebTV or something and the formatting isn't totally compatible and screws everything up.

Is that the case, Jim?

7. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

IOWA--if YOU Don*t like MY POSTS--DON*T READ Them!! & in referance to My Education?--I Am NOT the Type to TAKE any CRAP! especially from some Wet Nosed KID!--I have stated that I am a Retired Long Haul TRUCKER!--I never Mentioned that I Am Also a Retired Spy Plane PILOT-- NASSA--& just So YOU KNOW! I have FORGOTTEN more than YOU will ever KNOW! so Keep your Personal COMMENTS to YOURSELF!--As I have Never DEGRADED Any-One! Here or Any Where Else!--but--with YOU I*LL make an EXCEPTION--here YOU Are!--a 16 yr Old KID!--Giving ME! a Bunch of CRAP! & IOWA just read the CAPS & You will get the Message! Enough SAID!--Ole JIM--

8. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

THANKS--caz1--OleJIM--

9. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

84diesel--DON*T Read Them!--Ole JIM--

10. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

cja1987---THANKS--Ole JIM--

11. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

derekbroerse--I DONO? but freinds have informed ME that some? of the Messages send do Not Arrive as I wrote Them? this WEB-TV unit is an Invention of the Famous Bill Gates the Electronics Wiz!--It consists of the WEB TV Unit-a Wireless Key-Board that You can Use any-where!--& your TV Screen becomes what Computer Users refer too as a Monitor!--pretty Neet Really--My wife Bought this Thing for Me yrs Ago!--Sold for $99.00--but You know Women?--On SALE!--$59.99--mines Old Now!-the New Ones--very Hi Tec-- $199.95--Do It ALL!--I like IT-Inexpense! & the Grand Kids Really Beat On IT!--& the Best Part Is? Micro-Soft is the Server!--It Never Crashes--which is more than I can Say in referance to Myself!--It Don*t get SICK!--I don*t get any Girlie Channels or SEX Stuff-Grand Kids! & I Often Kid my Wife of 40 yrs about Going w/ME Plowing So We can have SEX in the Plow Truck??--a Little Hummor never Hurt Any-One!-& I allways get a Laugh or Two?--Well I*M OLD but I*M Not DEAD!--I was Hopeing for a New Computer from SANTA--but MOTHER had to be Operated ON! over XMAS!--& Shes doing Great!--but the PC will have to WAIT!--Until ????--I have become PROMOTED!--NOW Chief Cook & House Cleaner!- & I never Realized what a SLOB I Was!--but NOW! I pick UP after myself w/out Being Asked! as I will have to Do It later any-way!--& YEH! Getting OLD is Real *****!--Ole JIM--

12. Class IV livin'

Class IV livin' Junior Member

As someone who has spent more time in educational institutions than I care to remember, and certainly pay for, and as someone who has taught at both high schools for students with learning differences and college, I'd like to make a point. Spelling, proficiency in typing, and grammar are not indicators of intelligence. I've had many genius level IQ students that simply could not spell. I've read thesis papers that were typed completely with phonetic spelling. (By the way, spell check does not help these people because spell check work recognition is based off of the letters typed and not the sounds made by pronunciation of those letters.) But the human mind is an incredible machine. It has an ability to recognize familiar letter patterns. With the majority of everyday vocabulary, as long as the first and last letter of a word are in the proper location, the remaining letters of the word can be jumbled up. Sequences of words like this can be visually imposing, but read with little difficulty.

As lnog as the frsit and lsat lreters are pcelad in the crecort psioiton, wrods can be raed wtih ltitle dulfictfiy. See waht I maen.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Damn, you definatly are a salty old Mainer!
    You got a lot of stones old timer- typical of Mainer's!
    Ease up and try looking at it from our point of view- your posts are terribly formatted and VERY difficult to read- obviously not your fault useing that excuse for a computer called Webtv, but chill. No need to rant and rave especially since you have absolutly no idea who any of us are or anything about us.
    Personally I have already chosen not to read your posts- but I refuse to stand by with the load of crap you just dumped on this poor guy- especially since most of us probabily feel the same.

Now, since you've had a while and adapted so well to the net, how about upgrading from that thing to a real computer- your a tough ol bugger, you can handle it. Webtv is for those who can't handle a computer but need to be wired. Think of it this way, your tryin to plow with a Pinto instead of a P-built!

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

So that only means we have a sub standard spell checker program, try that with a word processing program and it'll catch em more accurately.

Oh, and spell check caught EVERY one of your misspelled examples above just now whan I was posting this!

15. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Then why didn't it correct your spelling errors?!?!?!??!?!?!? :D

BTW: I quoted you, so you can not fix it and say I'm lying. :)

16. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I accidently stumbled on this thread while looking for some posts in reference to installing heavier torsion bars on my plow truck and I couldn't help but follow the stream of the conversation as it progressed from one of unfavorable criticism to one of semi-apathetic acceptance.

In my speckled past I have been many things, one of those being an English teacher. Some theories stress a very structured and refined means of communication--I'm sure you all remember how to diagram a sentence??? While other views agree that as long as communication has taken place, the goal has been achieved--did any one of you ever receive a swat on the butt with a paddle after misbehaving in gym class???

Think back--Is the PITA from gym class any less vivid than the last time you misplaced your modifiers and had to rewrite your paper after class? All the contributors to this thread so far have seemed to understand what this 70-year-old (is that another word for geezer? I both challenge and resent that!) gentleman was trying to say. So has communication taken place? I must infer that it most definitely has!

So then just what is the problem? Is it for lack of anything better to do that somebody feels the need to negatively criticize another person who is making the same contribution to the thread as are they themselves, albeit in a slightly different manner?

Sorry about going on my soapbox, but do the means justify the end--or does it really have anything to do with it?

17. derekbroerse

What did he spell wrong? :confused:

All I can see is 'em', which is obviously just computer slang, and 'sub standard' I think should be all one word, but the computer will still recognize it because they are also individual words.

Ooops just caught the 'whan' at the bottom! :eek: I'm sure that was just a typo though!!

Are we done with the English lesson for today? ;) There is still a big difference between someone who misspells a word or two, and someone who misspells almost EVERY word. We should at least try to use proper sentence structure as well, it doesn't need to be flawless, but it should at least be legible. Those of us with a PC have no excuse.

18. p0laris

p0laris Junior Member

Realy

Whats with the need to criticize .. Get a life ..you dont even know the guy and im guessing he'd kick your azz :nono:

19. derekbroerse

He (just an example remember) will only get his point across if people will read his posts, and that is the problem, they are physically draining on the eyes! I sure don't think he is stupid at all, but I will admit to being guilty of often skipping over his postings because if I read too many I will actually get a headache.

I was one of the last 'grades' of kids growing up in Ontario in the early 80's to learn to read using Phonix. The 'experts' phased it out after that point, and kept lowering and lowering and lowering the expected standards. Now we have these kids graduating highschool reading at around a Grade Two level, and some that are actually totally illiterate! The bad part is that our system ALLOWS these kids to pass, because "Failing them is bad for their self-esteem." :rolleyes: Gimmee a break, isn't forever being made fun of or being looked down upon bad for their self-esteem too?

Some people will notice that there are indeed flaws in the posts I type--it's more a matter of personal 'style' online, but I am perfectly capable of writing a college-level paper and have done so many times.

But no one says that we need that level of communication on here. Statistics show that your typical newspaper is written only at a grade 7 reading level. Even that is probably more 'perfect' than we require on here.

But we seem to have a handful of people who misspell every other word and cannot put a sentence together to save their lives. Is this ignorance, or laziness? I think we have some of each. But neither should be tolerable in this day and age. No wonder the Japanese are doing so well compared to North America! They seem to have the built-in desire to do as well as humanly possible, while here we seem to have forgotten how to even do a decent job in comparison. We seem to have become opposite ends of the spectrum!

When I joined on here, I got the feeling that this was more of a board for the professional or the semi-professional, or even those aspiring to be semi-professional. Those who can't be bothered to do a decent job typing strike me as having a lot in common with low-ballers... poor quality and a potentially poor work ethic. Again, this is not directed at anyone personally. My OPINION is that if we are lazy when it comes to simple things like typing, we are likely lazy in working too, and if a customer sees that, kiss the contract goodbye.

20. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Will a persons spelling and grammar or lack of it dominate this forum for ever. Its getting to the point where every week there's threads about this. Why can't we all just get along. Thru all the B.S. did anyone wish OLE JIM's wife a speedy recovery or say thanks to the old guy for not low-balling and taking away pro plowers work. I didn't think so.

Hey OLD JIM thanks buddy your posts always bring a smile to my face I hope everything works out with "mother" If I ever get down your way I'll stop by for a few. And you can tell me about the good old days. [​IMG]