1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

personal plow unit for 1/4 acre driveway

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by grass disaster, Nov 4, 2010.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster Junior Member

we recently purchased some land. only down fall is the loooong gravel driveway.

what do you guys sugest i get to remove some snow.

i have a 2001 3/4 but i don't really want to wreck it with a plow.

i'm considering a tractor with a blow or maybe a beater truck with a plow.

its about 40 acrea but i don't really plan on doing much farm work so i'm not sure a tractor is the best bet....although i do like the idea of a blower. i have a feeling this place gets bombed with big snow.

looking to buy for next year season, 2011-2012 may wait to spring to get something cheap???
  2. firemt036

firemt036 Junior Member

definatley a snowblower less headaches for a gravel drive good luck
  3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

1/4 acre driveway are you saying this is 50 x 50.
    How much snow does your area get annually?
    If you are just plowing your driveway you will not ruin your truck.
    I would buy a used plow in the spring since you aren't buying till next year and the prices will be cheaper then now.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So it's a 250' drive assuming it's 10' wide? That's not bad! Get a lawn tractor and do it with that. Or a quad.
  5. 01lariat

01lariat Member

A tractor and blower.
  6. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

used plow installed=$2500 blower for a tractor=$2500

get a local guy to plow it for you at $50 and you can pay him for 5 years and not have to deal with maintenance and doing the work yourself and help a guy feed his family.
  7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

a quarter acre is just under 11,000 square feet (15 feet wide 725 feet long)
  8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Wow I don't know what kind of math I was doing!
    So it's like 1100' long X 10' wide. Get a tractor.
  9. heather lawn spray

50 X 50 is not a quarter of 200 x 200 it is one sixteenth
  10. heather lawn spray

a used compact tractor 25 to 35 hp with a 4 foot to 6 foot blower would work well. Plow trucks on gravel driveways require alot of practiced technique
  11. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I know you think you might not need a tractor but trust me, especially with 40 acres if you buy one you wont know what you did without one. It seems expensive at first but a compact diesel with a blower and a bucket would be perfect. Trust me, you never know you needed one until you have one lol. They do so many things. A blower on a subcompact will clear that easily.
  12. grass disaster

it be more than the driveway, around the house and shed too.

how big should i likely go.

what can i expect to pay for a nice set-up?

do most tractors have the blower in back?
  13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

my mistake you are correct 1/4 acre is approximately 11,000 sf.
    I would agree with a small tractor , then you have something around for the other things that come up
  14. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

For a compact diesel, a mid 20 horse model should do you just fine. A 30 horse would be excellent, probably overkill though. You can get a blower in front or rear. The plus to a rear mount blower is that you can keep the loader on the front, unfortunately it means you have to look backwards. Its personal preference really. New, you can expect a little over $20,000 for a decent kubota or john deere. A little less or a little more depending on model and attachments, but it'll last you a liftetime. You may be able to find a good used one for less.
  15. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Put a mid-weight plow on your truck and don't sweat it. The plow will not harm a 3/4 ton truck. My driveway is 15' wide and 600' long. It takes me much less time to do it with the truck and plow than it would with a tractor and blower. Plus, the plow is on my daily driver so I get in put my coffee in the cup holder, one pass out, one pass back, clean off the 40x50 pad in front of my garage and off to work. Warm, dry.....

I will agree that with having acreage, a tractor is sure nice to have and may be a good all-around compromise. However, I always have owned 1/2 ton or better trucks and always will. To put a plow on it is worth it.
  16. grass disaster

boy they dont give a way tractors now days.
  17. sbt1

sbt1 Member

For $1000 you can buy a good 1970's large-frame Simplicity tractor which will plow or blow snow for another 30 years.
  18. wsmm

wsmm Member

Truck or Tractor

My drive approximately 2000' x 20'. It used to be smaller so I started with a tractor and back blade, then added a front blade controlled by the front loader. For the past 7 or so years I've been plowing with a 79 Dodge Ramcharger automatic transmission with 7 1/2' blade with power angle. This year I'm switching to a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with a 5 speed manual transmission.

I'm not saying the tractor didn't do the job, but it took a lot more time and was extremely more uncomfortable (read freezing cold).

Unless you have a least a cab, preferably heated, on the tractor you will probably find that it gets old quick and the fun of plowing and moving snow vanishes.

My drive is a combination of dirt and gravel in spots, with the longest straight section being about 840'.
  19. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

Not knowing what your potential budget may be

or what you can afford is the issue.

You have to shop and the earlier the better in your case;

A small compact utility tractor has much much lower

resale or trade value with out a front end loader.

Kubota is still offering zero percent 60 month financing

for small tractors and implements and that weighs

heavily in your favor.

Anyone buying their first tractor always buys too little tractor

for thier use and it will cause you problems in a few years from

premature wear.

The short money bet is always the Big box stores and John Deere

as you can buy a 20 horse 2 wheel drive, front blower, mower chains

and soft cab around 3 thousand but it will not have the power of a diesel

like the Kubota 2660 with a 60 inch rear blower from Pronovost.

About mowing;

A rear mounted 48 inch Caroni flail mower from agrisupply.com will mow all your

property forvever and you can use it on another tractor when you trade losing no

A lot of Kubota dealers have excess inventory that is tored and still crated

from the previous year.

spring time is the best time to pick up a new rear mounted snow blower

if you are willing to do a little searching/phone calls.
  20. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Get a used 1/2 ton with a used plow and have at it. I use a 1/2 ton ford with a western and plow 1500 feet. I have a tractor with blower also but i freeze my ass off doing it and it takes 10xs longter to do. I start truck allow to warm a bit get in drink coffee, listen to music STAY WARM, and plow in 10 minutes one down left angle turn around backup 2 down left angle turnaround back up and 3 down right angle and done.