1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Personal plow truck, maybe more?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tiovklr, Oct 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tiovklr

tiovklr Junior Member

OK, right off the bat, I have a 1993 f250 4x4 5.8l, It is ugly but it works, the plow is a 7.5' cable operated Western unimount.

I bought this truck to do 3 things.
    1. get pellets from home depot.
    2. pull my snowmobile trailer to Vail Pass.
    3. plow the freaking gigantic ridge that the town of Minturn leaves at the edge of my short but wide driveway, as well as plow out my snowmobile trailer (see comment about town of Minturn above).

I am only in town a few nights a week, so obviously I can't commit to anybody on a contractual basis. What is the deal with/industry rules about/non-dickish way to possibly make money with this rig?

Anyway, thanks for lookin and any thoughts are appreciated.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you plow to make money then you NEED insurance.
    Part time plowing will probabily only work if you get flagged down by someone in a storm.

3. tiovklr

tiovklr Junior Member

I can add some insurance, I already have an umbrella policy, which applies to the vehicle, I wonder if that would transfer?

Even if it is just getting flagged down kinda work, that could be good to cut my teeth with this winter, I'm not looking for a whole lot more than that anyway, as the three things listed in the initial post are really what matter to me.

4. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

I'm not sure if an umbrella policy would cover you or not. The only person that would really be able to tell you that would be your agent, and make sure he/she tells you in writing. As far as making a little extra change goes, its feesable, you'll just have to do things on a call in only basis if you are only in town a few nights a week. Are those nights set or does it vary?