1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Plow questions

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by WMass, Aug 17, 2006.

1. WMass

WMass Junior Member

Hey guys. Thanks for all of the info that you provide on this site - it's a real benefit to those of us who don't know anything about plowing.

Here's my situation... I have an extremely short driveway at my home - no need for a plow. However, I have just bought some land with a cabin in Upstate NY - about 3 1/2 hours drive from me (Lake Oneida). My concern is that if it snows mid-week, my drive to the cabin will be plowed in by the time I get there on Friday evening. And, the snow could have been sitting there a while. I don't have a real handle on the amount of snow - but I'd bet pretty substantial.

So.. first, there is no way I can afford one of the "big boys" right now. And I only want to be able to clear the entrance to my drive - then maybe the drive itself a little. I have an 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4X, and a 05 Jeep Liberty 4X. Given my budget restraints, I have been researching both the Snow Bear and the Snow Sport. Seems SB get's a little bit more of the nod.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion - am I really just wasting money? Some issues that I've seen raised - (1) I may need a light kit, and the ones that you can get aren't "street legal" and (2) I had one guy advise me to be careful about overheating with such a long drive - with the plow blocking the radiator? Am I gonna be stuck draggin up a good sized snow blower and taking an hour to clear the drive?

Thanks for the comments.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You'll be way better off with a snowblower. I sure wouldn't be driving all that way with a plow hanging off the front end.

Actually, you might be better off getting someone local to plow it out for you when you go up there. I had that arrangement for a few years. The people paid me to have the entrance to their cabin cleared and enough of the drive to park their truck. No concern about how soon after the snow or what time of day I was there. They just paid me so much once a year (basically a "seasonal") to make sure they could get in when they decided to come up.

Otherwise, get something like a Homesteader (small Fisher) and leave it chained at the entrance to your cabin. Have it set up so all you have to do is drive into it, hook up and plow.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

If it's only going to take an hour with a snowblower then I'd go that way. Something like an Ariens 926 Pro would be nice. The serrated edges on the auger can cut through some pretty tough snow. If you decide to go with a plow and can afford it something like the homesteader would be preferable to the snow bear or Snow sport because it has hydraulic controls and street legal lights. If your choice is between the snow bear or snow sport go with the snow bear. I dont believe you can backdrag with the snow sport and I don't believe they can be angled. The lights on the snow bear may not be street legal but the plow looks pretty light. It might be light enough to put in the back of the dodge and attach it when you get to the cabin.

4. WMass

WMass Junior Member

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I had all but decided to forget the plow for now, but just wanted the confirmation. And the suggestion on the blower model is much appreciated.
    Won't be long... ! snow's a comin'

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You want to buy a tractor with a snow plow for $1500?!?!?:nod:

6. WMass

WMass Junior Member

tractor

Oh man First Time.... don't tempt me! ;)
    Thanks for the offer - but I don't have a place to keep the tractor in NY. At this point, all I've got is a small one-room cabin with a woodstove. Let's see what I can get built come next Spring!

Thanks again.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why, yes, I'd take a '05 JD 4310 Diesel Tractor With 6' Power Curtis Quick Attach Plow for $1500. Thank you. ;) :nod:

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You could build a shed! You can always find uses for a shed. Sorry, but the 4310 wouldn't be let go even if you offered me more than I paid for it. I love that tractor and plow setup. By far one of the best tractors made. OK, so if you offered me more than I paid for it I would sell it, but we would need to talk more around $30,000 but I would thro in th attachments!:D :waving: