1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Permit to move 14ft pusher?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4x4Farmer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I know theres a few of you from Fargo on here and I was just wondering what you know about moving pushers from job to job. I herd through the grapevine that they are going to start making you get permits to move any snow removal piece of equipment over 10 feet. Is this the way it has always been and they have just not enforced it? I'm not real happy about it, cause we would have to get permits for all three of our pushers. I thought there was a exemption for snow removal equipment. I looked up the laws and cant find anything other then contractors are good up to 10ft. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I did find something out about our noise ordinance though, snow removal equipment is exempt from it, so now when people call complaining about our backup alarms, I can say too bad!!
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Rig up your pushers like this and you will be good to go.

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

iv seen that pic on here before, but i think i will tell the city where to shove it before I do that!
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

That will work well until some inspector puts you O.O.S.

5. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

well im not going to do a thing till they tell us we need a permit, we have been doing this for years and never had a problem, just something i herd, so we'll see
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Which is exactly my point. In the eyes of the law, ignorance is not bliss, nor an excuse.
  7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I would be amazed if you were even looked at by any sort of law enforcement unless you cause an accident and in that case ignorance is bliss.

I have several 16' boxes and 12' plows..... no problem.
  8. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

me thinks that they just don't enough people to enforce traffic laws in a snowstorm. How many DUI checkpoints and speed traps do you see. Now one or two days after a storm, you could have a problem. However in case of an accident, they might have a tendency to write you up for something. Face it, if it is wider than 108 inches and you are within 6 miles of an interstate highway, you will need a permit according to FMVC. Me, I would keep trucking down the highway till they stop me, if the cop issues you a ticket tell him the machine broke down and to tow it(it probably won't fit through the salvage yard gate on 7th ave) Seeems to me that the cities ATI tractor&plow setup wouldn't comply either. Do you think the city cleaned up all the lead paint they knocked off the bridge with their new truck?
  9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

FWIW, from a trucking POV--anything over 102" wide is considered an oversized load, requires a permit to move on a public road and has special hours during which said load may move. Exceptions to farm implements, of course...

Worst case, throw it on a trailer. Not the preferred way, but if they're going to hammer you on it...

FWIW, I don't think IL would let it slide...at all.

Good luck!
  10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I take you are driving these things down the road along with the machine it is attached to?
  11. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

We just have one for each site we service. Guy get attached to one sometime and will move it with them but they don't have to. Our city has 2 or three as does the local U. As long as your careful can,t see anyone bugging you too bad.
  12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

all the .gov's want money, esp this year.
    ohhhh, they'll be out in force fining and writing tickets this year for sure.

i'd get the permit

(or, if it's ridiculously expensive, buy pushers to sit at the lots)
  13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

yeah that was a whoops! I think that guy needs a permit for stupidity!!!!
  14. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why they make hinged pushers..........
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

16. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Anyone that breaks the Ba$%#lls of a guy/company in the snow and ice management industry is a loser and has way too much time on his hands and needs to reflect on his own life.
  17. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

i just cant see them being jerks like that, were out there providing a service to the community, were carefull, just trying to do a good job, but yet there out to get us!!!
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The law is the law buddy.
  19. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

So are trucks hauling salt, but we still have to follow weight laws and tarps out loads. (OK, sorta, just don't get caught).

20. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Neige, those are some serious looking boxes, what do they cost? Seems like a folding box would be much more economical. I've used them, from Pro-Tech, little bit of a PITA with the little cheesy pinned struts to lock them open but they worked just fine.