1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent vs. Magnetic?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by LUCKY 7, Nov 4, 2009.

1. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Haven't purchased a "quality" light yet. I've done enough looking at them to make me cross-eyed!:dizzy: I am just looking for some info about the difference when it comes time to hook up a perm. mount. It seems like magnetic would be the easiest because it comes with the pattern controller built in but I would rather have a permanent mount. Do I have to have a bunch of extra stuff for the perm?? I would love it if someone could tell me how this is done. Any info/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.:salute:

2. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

b b bump... anyone?

3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

kinda depends on the light....not usually

4. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

I just mounted mine to the roof. I like it because i dont have to worry about it falling off at 100mph
    Make sure the srews u use are not to long. I found that out the hard way :D:D

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Unless your putting it on an old truck where you don't mind the bolts coming thru the headliner! :)

6. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

If I went permanent it would go on a back rack- don't really want to mount to roof. What I'm really asking about is do I need to get a control box and switches and all of that or is it more basic than that. I would like to get a responder- pretty simple if you go magnet but if permanent, what else do I have to do to make it work? All they say is it comes with a 6" pigtail.... ok so what else do I need?- they don't list that part. Thanks for any help.

7. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

So.... other than power & ground & on/off switch, what else? What do I need for changing the pattern?

8. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

go with a back rack

9. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

X2 :yup: They look nice and no drilling into the roof.

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'd like to know this as well. (Not to hijack)... I just bought the responder last night and would LOVE to use the factory roof switch located on my 07 Duramax.... HOWEVER, I understand this will give me power ONLY... What do I need for a switch to change patterns and what needs to get wired to it... There are something like 6-8 wires in the pigtail that have me ALL confused... Thanks.

11. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

If you want to make it as simple as possible and are not confident with wiring, buy the mag mount model. Cut the cord and simply add extensions to the wires between the two parts of the cord that you have cut (keeps the wiring simple for you). This would allow you to continue using the cigar plug with the switch. Just so you know, the pattern select switches are nothing more than a momentary switch that sends/interrupts a voltage signal to the processor on the bar to change the flash pattern.

You can remove the magnets and use mount points to bolt the light to the location you're planning to mount it (rack, roof, etc). This is the KISS Principal (Keep It Simple Stupid). :nod:

While every manufacturer might be a little different, just about every light I've seen uses this same set-up. Some of the lights actually have the flash pattern switch on the bottom of the light bar itself.

12. nbannan

nbannan Member

i wired a magnetic w a trailer 4-way.

2 wires for power 2 for pattern switching. Used Chevy power relay for juice & installed switch near onstar mic for patter swaps. Also fused with screw-in just in case.
    Also used chip guard tape under magnetic to prevent paint damage. Can't really even see it.
    I put it under the wire run area as well.
    see other pix:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=89292

Strobe-ClearTape.jpg

13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Great application for that stuff, my roadster has that on all front facing paint, works great and is nearly undetectable. :yup:

14. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I would go permanent mount for sure.

15. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

bought the permanent mount lp responder. Took the advice from this thread and mounted it securely on my backrack using two 5" peices of aluminum flatstock. Drilled some holes in the mounting plate, then in the backrack and she's mounted. I'll post some pics in the equipment forum later today.