1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent vs. Magnetic Mount Strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by tyler886, Nov 9, 2012.

1. tyler886

tyler886 Member
    from RI

Finally deciding to upgrade my 5 year old rotator with something a little more modern and have a few questions. Im trying to decide on what I want for a strobe light to mount onto my back rack. Ive narrowed it down between the 23" Whelen Mini Century, the Whelen Responder LP Series, or the Able 2 Sho Me light bar.

I cant seem to find definitive answers anywhere as to whats need in permanent vs. magnetic mount. I'd prefer a permanent mount just to keep the theifs away and not have to worry about it blowing off on the highway. Plus, like I said, I prefer it on my back rack. If I get a permanent mount, do any of the above strobes have the cigarette light power plug, or do I have to run my own wiring? If I buy a magnetic mount, is it as simple as removing the magnets and theres already threaded holes for mounting points? Running wiring isnt the big deal, I just need to know what I'll need to get for switches to activate the different strobe patterns. And what I can plan to spend on them. I'd like to spend under $350 tops on everything. If anyone could recommend some switches or accessories I'd need to permanently mount these I'd appreciate it!

2. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Something like this will be a nice easy setup that you can run wire to from a constant 12v and a negative and then run the wire that comes with it up to the bar and wire in both of those through this panel as well as the "mode" switch which will ground out the bar and change your patterns. This would be the easiest way as it all comes with the package and leave you with an extra switch for expanding if you wanted to add. All within budget.