1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent mount or magnetic?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fenderfuel, Nov 10, 2011.

1. fenderfuel

fenderfuel Junior Member
    from mn

I'd prefer to have a permanent mount so I bought one and took it to the body shop for them to put on since I'd rather not be responsible for drilling holes through the roof of my cab and have them not be straight or have the light be off center... anyways, they said that it's not a good idea because at highway speeds its going to make a bunch of noise being mounted to my roof since its a "heavy" light. Its just a whalen mini amber light bar. Should I buy the magnetic and just have to deal with the wire going through my back window? or do any of you guys have them mounted to the roof of your truck and not notice any extra noise at highway speeds.

Oh yea, I do a lot of driving at 70mph which is why I would prefer a permanent mount so I don't have to take it on and off all the time and I'd rather not put a back rack on because I have a roll up bed cover.

Thanks,

Dan

2. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Personally I would mag mount a MINI, but heres the problem i have with what they said...

First, I have a 48" MX7000 perm. mounted to my roof, and I am unaware of any "noise", especially that has anything to do with "heavy", and even more so a "heavy" mini bar.

Second... Ive seen PLENTY of mag mount lights come off the roof at highway speeds, and ruin lights and wiring and paint, and once the rear window of the car it was on. although the light you are talking about is very low profile so it should not be an issue, just saying though...

Permanent mount is cleaner, I guess resale would be the only thing that perm. mount would hurt, but hell, its a plow truck!

3. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

They also make that little mounting pad that goes above the third brake light as well

4. fenderfuel

fenderfuel Junior Member
    from mn

do you have a link to that mounting pad you're talking about?

5. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  6. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Another option, for near the price of the 3rd brake light thing, you could get a BackRack and avoid using your roof completely.

8. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

In OP: " and I'd rather not put a back rack on because I have a roll up bed cover."Thumbs Up

9. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I built my back rack to hold my Mini Pinnacle thats a perm. mount and it still clears my tonneau cover. Can get pics id interested...

10. changexlt

changexlt Junior Member
    from ND

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. fenderfuel

fenderfuel Junior Member
    from mn

Ya I was lookin at my truck, does anyone know if a back rack will mount up and still be able to have a roll up cover too? I was lookin at the truck last night and some pictures online and it looks like it might work.

12. changexlt

changexlt Junior Member
    from ND

13. fenderfuel

fenderfuel Junior Member
    from mn

14. fenderfuel

fenderfuel Junior Member
    from mn

guess i should have hit refresh. Thanks for the quick reply :)