1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Performer Intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 85w/350, Mar 25, 2001.

1. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Hey guys! Need some help specifically from you lawn care guys that might have experience with this. I have been thinking about purchasing an edlebrock Performer intake for quite sometime now. My biggest fear being the family mechanic is putting the intake on my dad's 82 c-10 lwb and him getting pissed off because it drinks even more gas then it already does. I think it is worth the money because he pulls trailers quite often behind his truck where as with mine i do not--thats the reason its going on his truck. I am talking about trailering anything from a popup camper to a 14' flatbed loaded down with 5tons of tractor equipment. I think that the intake will help alot with torque and hopefully gas mileage even without a trailer...before i take this chance I thought i would consult with you guys that my run this setup and have noticed a difference since the upgrade. Thanks to all!

2. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer Junior Member

Try going to edlebrock's web site and see if there is a contact you can go to or FAQ's that may give you some idea. I think with just the manifold you probably won't see the benefits you would with the entire "system" they recommend (ie, heads,cam,lifters,manifold). Just a thought.

3. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I have checked those studies out already but thanks for the input...and I agree that the studies don't show to big of a difference unless you install the performer kit...I just realized that I didn't specify in my last post that the engine is a 350

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're looking to improve the trailering ability of the truck, I would suggest an intake manifold + a cam ground for that application (low & mid range power), as well as dual exhaust. Having used headers on my truck in the past, I found them to be a nuisance when changing plugs and the salt "did 'em in" fairly quickly - although I don't think road salt is much of a factor in your area!. I now run with the older style "ram horn" (center outlet) manifolds.

I'm running a 350 as well, with a T400 trans. It's in a dually that weighs in at well over 8,000 lbs with the plow/winch/wrecker etc on, so my mileage is pretty lousy anyway. I don't think you'll see much (if any) decrease in fuel mileage on a C-10 with the modifications listed above.

Like SummitFarmer said, just (another) thought.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With dad driving the truck he probably wont see much difference in performance either tho. Leave it alone, if dad is happy dont mess with it.
    Dino

6. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I think I will go with plowking's suggestion for now...I have thought about running dual exhaust oh it...and that does look like a very near future mod. Thanks for all the input

7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

No matter what you do just make sure you balance it out. Dont's upgrade the exhaust without upgrading the intake. Match the exhaust with a K&N filter. If you swap in performer heads you might want to use a bigger throtle body or carb in your case. I have shorty headers with the K&N no muffler(LOUD)it made a diference in the low end torque, I saw a minimal gain in gas mileage on the highway. Changing plugs is a breeze, use the spark plug socket with an open end wrench when it gets tight! I wraped them, I think it voided the waranty but it holds some heat(Not that heat is any better then salt)and keeps the salt off. Summit sells shorty headers pretty cheap, smoewhere around $150, direct bolt in!
    Casey

8. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics Member

Your gas mileage should go up with the Performer. Also, throttle response will be better, meaning that if you give a little more pedal it should respond better than with the stock intake manifold. You may or may not have much of a HP gain, but in terms of driveability it will be noticeable. I wouldn't bother with the cam or heads unless you are rebuilding the entire motor, not worth the trouble in my opinion. Exhaust headers are worth it, though. Get long-tube headers, or don't bother. The shorties aren't much better then what you have. I put DynoMax cermacoat headers on my '76 454, a little over $200 for pair already coated. Between the headers, Performer intake, and 2-1/2" exhaust I picked up quite a bit of power and driveability over stock with no mileage loss. In fact, if I could keep my foot out of it I would probably pick up one or two MPG.
    Jeff
    http://www.jeffsclassics.com

9. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Jeff's Classics

Where did you get your headers? My Flotech shorties were almost $200, the ceramic coated ones were outrageous. I wanted the Edlebrock tubular exhaust setup but could't talk myself into droping the money on an exhaust.

One question, I have a 90 gmc with a 350, if I put the performer intake on it and then put a bigger throttle body in can I maintain the 12mpg I get now. Or will the bigger throtle body lower the mpg even though the intake is suposed to help you get bettet gas mileage. Or would I be better off going to multiport? Oh dear I can the the credit card bill now!
    Casey