1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Performance TEST

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jon Geer, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We just performed our own test on the Blizzard POLAR EDGE cutting edges (poly). We left the plow down on the pavement, driving at a speed of 55 mph, traveling a total distance of 120 miles (Byron Center, MI to Grant, MI). We only lifted the plow for railroad crossings and what we thought were high man hole covers (to the best of our judgment, some failed).

On our return, we only shaved about a 1/4 inch off the main mold board, and about just over an 1\8 on each wing. WOW :yow!: That is a lot of driveways and parking lot!!!! We tried the same test with the 1/2 steel edge that Blizzard provides, and we failed :cry: .

We wore the edge out and missed lifting the plow up, and yup you guesses it - took the biggest chunk of steel right off the edge (man hole cover). Shook up my teeth pretty good. :dizzy:

So, the moral of the story is: Get WIDE, and get POLAR EDGE poly edges for your plow. Scientifically tested and proven. Cost is not an issue for reliability and performance.

I have the same edge doing the same test soon to see how many miles we can go before the edge is destroyed. We'll see. :waving:

Don't try this at home, it is a pricey test.

I'll post pics later.

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

HHMMM, 120 miles with the plow down at a speed of 55 mph in Mid-October! Did you ever have to pass anyone? In what position were the wings?? Did you hit the same man hole as hard with the poly cutting edge as you did with the steel one?? Sounds like a wicked wild test to me! I wish I could have been there to see this. BOAST pumpkin:

3. c_maint

c_maint Member

The sparks had to be flying......like a piece of metal in the grinding wheel.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Wonder what the people were thinking that he was meeting on the road??

5. c_maint

c_maint Member

A friend of mine did that to his western. We were on a highway riding side by side. He dropped the blade and made a really cool light show. Good thing he didn't have any oil leaks.lol

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I of course can't really question your test without seeing it.But you must live where no police patrol,the sparks had to been a real sight.Along with the passing cars that had crap blown on there cars...

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

HE SAID HE WAS TESTING A POLAR EDGE ( poly)
    NOT STEEL EDGE.

8. c_maint

c_maint Member

They did try it with the steel blade

9. Bolts Indus.

He said they are going to try the steel test soon.

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Read it!
    He said "tried" PAST TENSE.

Everyone must have thought you were crazy!!

11. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

{Quote} We just performed our own test on the Blizzard POLAR EDGE cutting edges (poly). We left the plow down on the pavement, driving at a speed of 55 mph, traveling a total distance of 120 miles.

We tried the same test with the 1/2 steel edge that Blizzard provides, and we failed :cry: .

12. Bolts Indus.

Sorry about that. :confused:

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry i sounded rude in retrospect :cry:

14. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Answers to a few questions:

The plow was in the scoop position, angled to the curb. We kept others safety in mind when we did the test. We did do stop and go, and it was a round trip mileage total. We also had a chase vehicle to fend off any police or sheriff officers. We would have lied and said it was broke.

I also could not remember all the spots to lift the plow, and of course caught one high spot with the steel edge.

The sparks weren't that bad in sun light.

Have some pics in motion, will post when film gets developed.

Thanks for all the input. :)