1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

performance chips on plow trucks?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GreenKingL&L, Dec 16, 2007.

1. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

I just sold my 03, and went back to a second gen. 02 CTD dually 4x4. There is a noticable power difference from my 03 (305hp) to my 02 (235hp). I have the western 9 foot pro-plow and a snow-ex vp8500. Would you recommend the use of a performance chip on a truck you would be plowing with? And if you would, which one? I have been looking at the edge juice w/attitude, (had it on my 03, liked it but won't transfer to this truck), the bullydog torque dog, and then someone recommended the diable power puck. Any ideas? Thanks

2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

i have edge comp on my 02 and i usualy turn it down to the 2nd or 3rd setting when plowing you are not suppose to put high load on the truck with running the chip

but even the lower setup is better than stock ;)

3. bulldogs26

bulldogs26 Junior Member

I have the Bullydog system on an 01 Excursion and have no problems at all. We set it to our pulling setting and run perfect.

bt

4. torquet

torquet Junior Member

I run the diablo sport predator on the 60 horse setting while plowing. No EGT problems at all.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The only issue would be if it were on a higher setting the trans would slip. I run my edge one 2 most of the time and it is great. I dont plow with mine so... I can imagine it would be similar to pulling a trailer with a load.

6. payton

payton Senior Member

what ya doing with the edge juice? would be nice to compare it to my bully dog tripple dog downloader to see which is really better.. then again why not stack a couple chips and get some damn hp..lol

7. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I leave my BullyDog Power Pup on level two which is about 90hp. Truck is just a plain dog on the lower setting (65hp) and of course a bigger turd at the stock setting. Since you have an Edge product, why not go with another Edge, such as the Comp or EZ?

If you have the bucks, you may want to check into the Smarty from Mads Electronics. That downloader is about $650 bucks but is supposed to be the best one out there for any year Cummins truck. Most of the diesel guys on the forums run this downloader. As I said, if you got the bucks, you may want to check this one out as well.

8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

smarty if not that jsut an EZ would be fine. you have any gauges?

9. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

I don't have anything for this truck, I let most of that stuff go with my 03 when I sold it, but I would look to get a 3 guage pillar pod with trans temp, egt, and pyro. I am waiting on a return call from the edge dealer on the comp and the ez, so we will see what happens

10. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

2 of my plow trucks are stock 12V, my 01' on the other hand has an edge comp and other goodies, I turn the comp off when plowing. This truck will get stuck easier than the stock 160 horse motors due to how much more power it has right off idle. I don't like the idea of extra strain on my U joints, -T case, shafts, diffs, and trans. I feel pushing the heavy wet stuff is stress enough. tymusic

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

It does'nt matter. If your talking about a diesel, it does'nt matter what chip, horsepower setting or size of injector you have. Diesels throttle on fuel, not air like a gasser.

You can put a snowplow on the world's most powerful 4x4 diesel pick up truck, the 2000 HP 1998 Dodge Cummins, 'Smoknya', and plow with it.

Of course, 2007 National Champion, Erik Stacey, might not like it. Dang thing sounds like a jet helicopter taking off:D

http://www.smoknya.com/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  12. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I had a banks ottomind controller which I plowed with but it was not adjustable on the fly, it was set on level 4. I sold it on e-bay and also bought a Smarty which is the best programmer I have used. One great thing is the ability to change the tire size, because I run seperate tires for plowing. Its set on level three and no problems with egt's.:drinkup:

13. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

I have ran the edge and bully dog I sold my edge and kept the bully dog I got better fuel mileage and twice the black smoke out of my 04 Dually.Never had any problems I never turned it off.

14. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I have the edge in my F150 and I love it!
    I use level 2 (towing) and modify all my shift points and timing because I run mid grade. Works great, wakes up my 5.4 big time!

15. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

Did it help or hurt your fuel mileage on the 5.4. The 5.4 is a very strong motor, I want one in the mustang.!!