1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Perfect time to run newspaper add?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IMAGE, Nov 13, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey guys. I am just starting a lawn/plow service. I was wondering if it is too late to run an add and get customers to set up a route, or if it is just the perfect time to run an add? I am not looking for a whole lot this first yr, but would like about 20-30 consistant customers. I have put my name out to some local guys to be on call for them also. Should I just start an add in the local paper and midweek and run it until I reach my goal?

(still looking to get my name to more local guys in Fergus/DL/Fargo area that need a on call sub, pm me)
  2. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Get your name out there asap. If you need accounts your about a month behind to get them lined up. I am not saying you cannot getting any accounts, but for where you live you need to advertise the end of Sept or early Oct to line up your accounts.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed you are at least a month behind what most people are doing. I sent flyers out and have had an ad in the local paper here since mid October. It's worth a shot but I personally don't see you getting too many calls other then the last minute people who are calling after they are snowed in. jmo
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I start in june, working on accounts. I am still signin the right now, so work hard your be able to find some.

good luck
  5. topdj

topdj Senior Member

my friend puts one in when a storm approaches :) gets him new customers everytime
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The ads in the local paper went in last week. We will run the ads for about 2 months.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hi I never found Flyers or grocery stores or newspapers to work well. You get responses from all over, you would spend all your time driving between customers.
    I usually get a 15% return on advertising this way.
    I usually try to make my adds funny, my friend dose his in a very business manner.

1) Find an area you want to plow in.
    2) Drive around and get the addresses of the houses you want to do. (why advertise to
    a driveway with no place to put the snow)
    3) Go to the town hall and buy "list of persons" or "voter registration" or "list of registered
    Voters" towns call them different names.
    4) Send a letter to the houses you want to do. Now you can address the letter to a
    person, I send the letter to the wife.
    5) Be sure to tell them why your service is best for them.
  8. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

If you get the address then you dont even need to buy anything from the town...just do a reverse address lookup online and you are golden.
  9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Its never too late to run an ad or advertise in any way. It hasn't snowed in most areas yet. Heck it was 55 today. People are just starting to think about winter. If they didn't have a plow guy from last year then they could still be looking this year. People move into an area all the time and need to find a plow guy.

Get your number out there and after a storm you will definetly get calls.
  10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Your goal of 20 to 30 customers is shooting real high. Most people don't look in the paper for services, they use the phone book. If you got 2 or 3 calls that way you'ld be lucky. You need to find someone to sub for and learn whats going on while you are on someone elses accounts.

Learn from them, learn what a customer needs. Then start your business.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This time of year try and watch out,a lot of fishermen are out looking for deals or are a pain,and were dumped from other guys. But some good ones are still out there!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Ok so I am gonna try to get an add in starting with this weekends "Midweek" I dont know if you guys have them, but it is a free paper that everyone in our county gets delivered on weekends. And I know it is a good venue for advertising because people scour it for stuff, like when you call on something free or for sale, usually it is gone on saterday.

So what is the best way to word the add?

"Snow is coming, be prepared
    Call now to get added to my driveway cleaning route from here to there.
    Steve 218-xxx-xxxx"

Or what is your idea for an effective add?
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

"Don't be caught with your shovel in your hand." Call now!
  14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm curious as to some examples of what you use. I also try to be creative with my ads, but I've been stumped with my snow ads. Any that you would like to share??

15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

If its snowing ... were blowing
    abc123 snow removal inc.
  16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

joe schmos snow plowing. we plow snow to get a break from our wives and kids. 24 hr service

we bust our *** so you can sit on yours...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007