1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Perfect Setup...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zagnut, Nov 18, 2009.

1. zagnut

zagnut Junior Member

Well you read the title. What would the perfect setup be for a solo just getting into the business?

3/4, 1 ton??
    Shortbox, Longbox, Crewcab??
    Vplow, straightblade???
    Backblade...?
    Spreader..?

I have been doing lawn care and am looking at expanding offered services. I plan on doing resi's (up-selling to current customers) and maybe some small commercials if they happen by.

So, residential focus, solo operator, open mind...

BTW, how many people do resi. accts with blowers? After reading several ppl on here mentioning it I still can't get my mind over the fact of unloading, walking behind, loading up a friggin blower!

Don't tell me to use the search function either... :dizzy:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ford F250 with a Boss V plow.

3. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

time is money. the means blowers are slow. loading walking taking 8 times as long to doa complete driveway. only good for home owner sidewalks.

i run a 05 ex cab long bed duramax. i have done both commercial and resi with it. its a little long for some drives. for commercial use for big lots a straight blade is really all you need since its mosty windrowing. a straight blade with wings would be great.

for resi use i would get a v plow. it makes clean up so much easier and it would be alot faster. time is money there as well. most home owners dont care to spend the money on salt. it depends on the neighborhood though. if you have a straight blade then i would get the back blade drag.

the best thing i have seen for resi use is a back plow. i will have one on my next rig. my dream rig would how ever be a custom truck

i personally would like to run a single cab short box with a 12 valve cummins in it with a 60/70 combo and a 8.2 boss v-xt plow with boss wings. and a swing wing on the rear end to back in drag it down and push it up. i will be building one this summer. i didnt have the money to this past year.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

chev 2500 with a duramax diesel, 8.2 boss v-plow, salter and a couple snow blowers and having a couple plow accounts may help also

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

F350 with Western V Plow, Diesel, Ext Cab, Long box, heated mirrors, roof marker lights.

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

s-10 2x4 with a 10' western and a 4.5 yd vbox salt spreader :laughing:

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

08-09 6.4F-350 XL+ (power windows,locks and mirrors) Regular cab, automatic with manual Tcase, Boss 9'2" V(no wings so you can get closer for back dragging),spreader, a few shovels and a guy in the passenger seat to shovel and fill the spreader lol.
    Though I do spend my time plowing with a Skid so what do I know HAHA
    Robert

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

would love to put my $0.02 but i need to know how many events a season, and how much snow you expect a event, i well tell you, this well make a world of difference as to what the best set up for you well be

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Since it sounds like you'll be doing mostly resi's, 3/4 ton w/ straight 8ft front plow and 8ft back plow.

10. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Having a nice plow bunny in the truck is the ideal plowing situation.i keep trying to talking my wife into letting me hire one she won't go for it.remember you single guys these three things /protection/post office box/ pre nump..

11. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

I do most resi's I have 2 92 ford broncos 5.8 E40D auto 8.5 V on 1 and 7.5 Hiniker on the other The V is better and faster on a drive way and you can clean up faster anywhere. we do 11 drives in 1 develament In heavy snow I will go in and blow them open with the V then we both will finsh them.
    Im thinking about a back plow for the 1 with the V I think in resi's the shorter the truck the better.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

JD 6430, 8-14 Storm Front wing blade loader mounted, Ebling Backblade, w/ 10'pronovost blower sitting in the shop on call payup

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge or Ford 1 ton single rear wheel. Standard cab long bed. I prefer Dodge with Cummins. Big V Plow, Backblade with foldout wings like "Ebling". A tailgate spearder might come in handy at times but not often if you are doing mostly resi's and maybe a small lot. The reason I say long bed is in case you decide to go with a bigger spreader one day.

14. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

3/4 ton since you do lawns but want to do driveways. 1 ton dump if doing lots and have alot of mulch and landscaping. Not much advice on driveway plowing since I have always been a straight blade guy and do mostly lots. Heated mirrors yes, bed size i like standard if I use it other than for work so you can park it. 2 batts and large alt., light s let these guys tell you the love their strobes. blowers are slow unless fluffy and if you have a truck wtf. but if u have a guy blowing or shoveling.

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

F-250 with a V blade
    You need to remember that whatever brand you choose that dealer service is very important.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hey Johnny you forgot the flashing strobe force field light that protects you from getting into an accident.:laughing:

17. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Quicker but not better

I do about 30 resi's - do most of them with a blower, yes they are slower, but you do so much a better job with it, I can save time getting everything, than trying to back drag and clean -up - so the time you save with a truck, I can be gone, and do a better job - most will say I am wrong - but the calls for my work keep pouring in, because the last plow guy destroyed their lawn, broke their lights - and I am still getting new customers :)

18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I agree with "Superior L & L" sounds like the best setup to me if you can get the thing to move :laughing:
    but i would have to say a single rear wheel reg cab 8ft bed f350. You could go with the 250 but it doesnt cost too much more to find a 350 and they have much better payload capacities. And definately go with the deisel. 7.3 was the best but 6.0 are nice to plow with also. I would say a v plow on the front of it too since you mostly do residentials

19. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

I wish dodge would make a 2500 reg cab short bed.

20. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

3/4 ton truck of whatever brand turns you on, regular cab, long box, 8ft strait blade with backdrag plate (you will want this) and two shovels.