1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

perfect plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M&M SnowRemoval, Mar 19, 2005.

1. M&M SnowRemoval

M&M SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from NJ

I have a few questions. I have researched all these topics to the best of my knowledge and wanted to get other peoples views.
    I want a 3/4 ton quad cab 6.6ft bed. It will be my daily driver to and from work (4 miles) and I will plow in the winter. I will rarely pull a trailer

1. Gas or Diesel

2. Manual or Auto

3. Boss, Western, Curtis, or Meyer

4. 8, 8.5, 9ft?

5. Wings or Not

6. Straight or V

7. Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax (if diesel)

Thanks for your opinions

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

in my opinion

1.diesel if you can afford it although gas is fine
    2.auto all the way your knees will thank you
    3.western pro plus ultramount (personal favorite)
    4.8.5 will do although 8' will also suffice
    5.no wings although the pro-plus wings work great
    6. straight but it depends on your situations
    7. powerstroke hands down

3. wddodge

wddodge Member

Gas..your 4 mile drive to work everyday will kill a diesel as it never gets warmed up. The common rail injection like is used on the newer Cummins is much better but short trip driving is not what a diesel was designed for.

Auto trans. Manual will work fine if you don't mind shifting. I plowed approx 8-9 years with a manual and never had a problem with it but an auto will increase your resale value if you decide to sell it.

Meyer, just because that is what I've used for years and have had really good luck with them. An 8 ft with wings is perfect for me.

I'd go with straight unless you have really deep snow or drifting in your area. I've plowed many of years in nw Ohio and only wished I had a V one time. I've plowed with a friends V several times and like my straight blade just fine.

If you have to have a diesel, Cummins is the way to go.

Denny

4. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

1. I vote for diesel, but that is an awfully short commute. Take the long way.
    2. Auto. You'll have enough to do.
    3. Western, 8 ft minimum, 9 is better
    4. see #3
    5. Never cared for wings. Although Red Bull says they're gooood.
    6. Straight.
    7. Powerstroke. No contest.

5. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Diesel, but in your situation gas would be fine
    Auto
    Boss
    9'
    Never used wings (cant say)
    V-Plow for sure
    Powerstroke

6. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

1. Gas
    2.Auto ....hands down
    3.Personal pref. they are all good.
    4.Size depends on application
    5.See above. #4
    6.Im going out on a limb here but ill say straight
    7. Cummins

7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

1. Diesel but gas is ok
    2. Auto, you ankle and knee will thank you.
    3. Western is my preference but you wanna find a dealer nearby in case of breakdown. You just have to decide on which is best to you.
    4. 8.5 foot v plow
    5. Dunno much about wings but been readin they bust off and unless you wanna spend twice what you paid for them to modify, go with a blizzard.
    6. If you go ford, get an older powerstroke, new ones are catching fire and the tranny's are cracking. Do a search for powerstroke vs. cummins, there's a pic of connecting rods, big difference. I'm rather fond of the cummins engine but I'm biased. It boils down to what you think. Not trying to start a war here. I do have respect for fords, have pulled me out of the ditch a time or two.

If you don't have to worry about breaking drifts and do a lot of windrowing, a v plow is not reasonable but blizzards will suit you well. There is no do-it-all tool.

8. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

1 Either would work.
    2 Auto - I have used both. Manual works, but if you have a long route you will wish you had an auto.
    3 I have a western v and I like it, If there was a dealer close, I would have a blizzard 810
    4The bigger the better but depends on what you are using it for. Commercial I would recommend the 8.5 or 9 with wings. Residential i would say the 8 footer would be fine.
    5 Wings are a must with a straight blade
    6 I have a v-plow. Works great. But I don't always need it.
    7 I own a cummins. I love it.

9. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Glad to be of help, good luck in choosing.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What kinda plowing will you be doing? That makes a big difference on the blade

I'm chevy biased. The Duramax allison combo is the best there is IMO. I rolled low 490 HP with a Duramax diesel with nothing more than a air intake, exhaust, and computer programaing, and a small electric pusher pump/aux fuel filter. Stock unmodified everything else. It is almost criminal how easy it is to get HP outa a Duramax. That was on a dynojet with kinda crappy loading. I was down 2 psi from what I swing on the street.

You dont need a diesel. A gas will do fine. I love my diesel though :nod:

Drive and check out all the trucks.

I wouldnt run a new 6.0 PS.

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

1. If your in this to make money then start with a gasser. Allthough diesel will push easier.
    2. Auto ...
    3. Western , personal favorite. Dealer support is big here (they are all good plows.)
    4. If ya get a diesel with a quad cab 9' is really pushin it. payup If your looking for dough then bigger is better for commercial.
    5.Yes check #4, the more snow you move in the least amount of time means money in your pocket.
    6. If your even looking at a v-blade then your crazy not to buy a Blizzard. I have plowed with a v and a straight and my next plow will be a Blizzard.
    7.Cummins the only true medium duty motor of the bunch. Allthough like Blade master stated the old powersmoke 7.3 were not too bad. But I will say this as far as resale goes look at a 95 Dodge Cummins with 180,000 miles on it. Now compare the other two same year same mileage. Guess who wins for resale ? One other point take a look at what all the old goats who tow 40' 5th wheels buy. These guys put major towing miles on i bet 2 out of 3 are runnin a Cummins Dodge. Just something I have noticed. I think these too points should speak for themselves.

Todd

12. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Okay, let's take a little peek... Kelly Blue Book values for dealer retail. Went with 1997 so features would be similar, but kept 180,000 miles for all. No fancy options, just bare bones 4x4 regular cabs SRW...perfect plow trucks:

1997 Ford F350 Long Bed

Engine: V8 7.3L Turbo Diesel
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 180,000

Equipment
    XL
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    AM/FM Stereo

Retail Value Search Local Listings for This Car $13,125

1997 Dodge 3500 Pickup Long Bed

Engine: 6 Cyl. Turbo Diesel

Equipment
    LT
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette

Retail Value Search Local Listings for This Car $12,800

1997 GMC 3500 Pickup Long Bed

Engine: V8 6.5L Turbo Diesel

Equipment
    SL
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    AM/FM Stereo
    ABS (4-Wheel)

Retail Value Search Local Listings for This Car $8,710

While we're guessing, guess which diesel sells more than all others? Right! PSD...no contest.

13. ratlover

from IL

A new Chevy kodiak 5500 is not only available with the same Duramax motor that you can buy in a 2500HD but it also comes with the same Allison trans. The 5500 is a medium duty truck or I would consider it anyway.

I love the last post. Although the 6.5 isnt that bad of a motor or atleast as bad as everyone makes out its still the nearly gutless pig that nobody wants :eek:

I believe he is interested in new vehicles so talk of old technology and what the motors were like 5 years ago dosnt mean squat IMO. a 6.0 is a totaly different animal than the tried and true 7.3 and the 6.6 Duramax aint no 6.5. Even the new cummins is highly different in its injection set up. Notice what they are using? Is a bosh set up that looks really simmilar ;) to what is used on the duramax. :D

14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

One that is paid for. ;)

15. ratlover

from IL

16. T-MAN

While we're guessing, guess which diesel sells more than all others? Right! PSD...no contest.

Last time I checked Sales numbers Ford Powerstroke Diesel was no where near Isuza , aka "Dura Max". Isuza, number one diesel truck manufacture in the world. No contest.

As far as old iron goes I'm pretty sure Ford medium Duty's (650 and up) use to run Cummins in some of these trucks. I cant say I have ever noticed a Powerstroke in anything bigger then a 550. Not trying to start a war just stuff I see in the real world.

And the resale thing, the old Cummins in good shape actually draw more then the blue book ( which sucks anway).

As far as new trucks and power goes I personally think the ford 6.0 will not be around much longer, there are rumors (not sure if there true) that Ford is allready devoloping a "new" diesel to compete. The 6.0 had a ton of problems much more then you would expect from #1 :rolleyes:

So do your homework and take your pick. I will say Im a hell of alot dumber then i used to be when I was 18 and new everything LOL. These guys are not dumb www.turbodieselregister.com check them out, they can explain a thing or too.

Todd

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  17. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

"Last time I checked Sales numbers Ford Powerstroke Diesel was no where near Isuza , aka "Dura Max". Isuza, number one diesel truck manufacture in the world. No contest."

Well, I thought we were talking pickups here. My mistake.

"As far as old iron goes I'm pretty sure Ford medium Duty's (650 and up) use to run Cummins in some of these trucks. I cant say I have ever noticed a Powerstroke in anything bigger then a 550. Not trying to start a war just stuff I see in the real world."

Again, I thought the thread was about pickups. 650's and 750's also have Cat engines as an option, in addition to Cummins. Again, not really relevant to this particular discussion.

"And the resale thing, the old Cummins in good shape actually draw more then the blue book ( which sucks anway). "

I'm just going by what their web site says. Your results may vary. Some geographical stuff in KBB doesn't always allow an apples to apples comparison in some regions. Who knows why...

"As far as new trucks and power goes I personally think the ford 6.0 will not be around much longer, there are rumors (not sure if there true) that Ford is allready devoloping a "new" diesel to compete. The 6.0 had a ton of problems much more then you would expect from #1 :rolleyes: "

Well everybody has to meet the new emissions standards, so what works now will have to be modified somehow to meet the smog nonsense. Tax dollars at work... My 6.0 runs like a top and always has (1yr & 6 months, 20 some thousand miles). Much more power than my old 7.3, but quieter. Not that that's really a good thing, a exhaust mod to make it louder was my first step :drinkup:

"So do your homework and take your pick. I will say Im a hell of alot dumber then i used to be when I was 18 and new everything LOL. These guys are not dumb www.turbodieselregister.com check them out, they can explain a thing or too.
    Todd

We agree!

18. T-MAN

Sorry you stated DIESEL sells the most, just thought you were talking about diesels.

The connection was MEDIUM duty engine. No powerstrokes in big trucks, as in good enough for our pickups but not good enough for the big boys.

Actually Dodge Cummins is way ahead of the emmisions game, no worrys there. Its great your 6.0 has been good to you, I personally no people who have been Ford boys all there life and between the trannys dropping out and the engines being lack luster they are ready to dump them. Oh well just my observation.

So you know the boys at TDR? They are pretty sharp.

One kewl lil tidbit for you Ford guys. Worlds fastest diesel truck is a Ford, powered by a Cummins!

Todd

19. ratlover

from IL

I dont think mad dogs(a very famous ford with a cummins) truck is the fastest. The quickest diesel truck and quickest diesel vehical are running cummins though.

20. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

You are right, I should have specified.

Actually the Powerstroke 6.0 is available in 650's (I assume in 750's, not sure), along with Cummins and Caterpillar. Link= http://www.commtruck.ford.com/ctw/default.asp

Cummins does make a damn good engine, as does Caterpillar. I've always had a good experience with Powerstrokes in pickups (and vans).

Jeff

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005