1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Percent of Saturation

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by peterng, Feb 11, 2012.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I'm starting to grasp some of the basic concepts here but could someone explain to me what the percent of saturation represents. 25.2% salt would be 100% saturation. I can't grasp that one.
    Thanks,
    Pete

23 Percent salt
    1.175 Specific gravity at 15°C (59°F)
    91 Percent of saturation
    270.3 (2.256) *Weight of salt(kg/m3 (lb/gal)

*Note: Weight of commercial salt required = (weight of pure NaCl from table) ÷ (purity in percent)

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

1) 1.175 Specific gravity = is the ratio of density of a substance compared to the density of fresh water.

2) 91 Percent of saturation = The amount of a substance that is dissolved in a solution compared to the amount that could be dissolved in it.

3) 23.3 Percent salt = % by weight of the total weight of the solution

Hope that helps some???

3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Which way is better way to measure? Buy a specific gravity saturation or by weight?

4. peterng

peterng Senior Member

That's where I wonder why the percent of saturation is shown in the charts as a function of concentration.

It makes me wonder if it is intended to indicate how many of the solids are dissolved. It appears to be like a variable that is tied to the concentration.

5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

That's where I wonder why the percent of saturation is shown in the charts as a function of concentration.

It makes me wonder if it is intended to indicate how many of the solids are dissolved. It appears to be like a variable that is tied to the concentration (percent salt).

We did mix some up last night using the steam jenny. Suitable for small batches obviously but it mixed really well. 88lbs sifto salt mixed with 40gal water you couldn't find a single kernel of salt left after 10 minutes. The water from the steam jenny was around 250 degrees and it cooled down to around 80F within a half hour. We've got to come up with a hydrometer today. We did 2 barrels so we'll have 80-90 gal of product to lay down.

We mixed 2 different batches of bagged salt, one was a lot cleaner and it dissolved everything solid. The water was rather clear at the end. The other appeared to be a bagged rock salt, the water was murky and there was a lot of solids that never mixed in even after unreasonably long mixing times. We just mixed it with the air compressor and some brake line.

Fun stuff anyways, learned a lot about how not to do it :)

No where to go but up when you start at the bottom eh :)
    Pete

6. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Just started doing it late this season. You'll love the money you save. But it is a lot of work to get it to that point. And if you're anything like me, the costs add up quick when you want to make it bigger/better/faster.