1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Storm Pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mmmelch1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mmmelch1

mmmelch1 Junior Member

I normally charge per push on driveways but one customer would like me to charge a price per storm. My only concern is that sometimes I have to service a driveway twice during a storm, usually before the customer goes to work and than a final cleanup later on. So when doing a per storm proposal should I charge for showing up once per storm or twice? Or perhaps just charge a higher set price but only charge for one service during the storm? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would just keep doing the same thing your doing and just call it "per storm" as opposed to per push.

Here is what I mean.

2 Inch trigger with per push: Driveway should get plowed every 2 inches. You charge $50 every time you push it.

2 Inch trigger with "per storm" : Driveway gets plowed every 2 inches. You charge $50 for a 2 inch storm, $85 for a 4 incher, $115 for a 6 incher total storm. etc.

I would have a Trigger, and a price per inch on storm accumulations.

I don't plow resis. But IMO, don't let the customer change your business like that...make it work out either way they choose for you making money. Just give them the terms they want....It really doesn't change how the snow falls, and how you go about plowing it, or when you show up to plow. This client you have might be a good candidate for Seasonal Pricing.

LOL...measure the snow off the grass.

PS..Prices are fabricated BS.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

ice-1"-------------salt or calcium application only

2-5"-----------------------$ .00

6-9"-----------------------$ .00

9-12"----------------------$ .00

over 12" ------------------$ same price as 9-12" plus $ .00 each inch over

.........................................works every time

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Why change for this customer? It's YOUR business, charge the way YOU want to, not what the customer wants. All they're doing is looking for the cheapest way to be serviced.

5. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

I plow residential driveways and charge each customer by the storm. I charge "x" amount under 6" and "X" over 6". The bigger drives have a certain set of prices as do the smaller drives. I watch the news or go online the next day and see what the local news says the snowfall amount was and bill the customer. Some of my customers are on major roads so I will push back the bank the town/state leaves, depending on their frequency. Charging by the push just wouldn't work for me.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Not to pick a fight I thought a 2" trigger meant that you don't plow unless the storm produces 2" or more of snow . What you describe sounds like a 2" tolerance (as in 0 tolerance), you plow every 2".

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If she wants a per storm charge tell her she'll get a bill after you figure it out.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Tell them per storm can mean more thne one push.
    They should know this after last year.

9. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

You should know how many times you plow once, twice, three times per storm. Just average it and thats what you charge. If you charge $30.00/push and plowed 10 storms each of the past 3 years with a total of 15 pushes per year, you would have billed $450.00 per year. If you charged $45.00 per storm you would bill the same, or $50.00 to cushion yourself.... Its just math.

10. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Simple, If you normally charge $50 per push, tell them the price is $75 per storm. Should easily make up for itself on the smaller events.