1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Storm Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mmlklandscapes, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mmlklandscapes

mmlklandscapes Junior Member
    from nh

When giving a bid for per storm pricing, how many inches per storm do you base your estimate off of?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends. How often do they want you to plow?

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

per storm.

4. grandview

I know that. But do they want him to come every 2-3 inches or after they close or after it stops snowing.

5. mmlklandscapes

from nh

my bad, they want it plowed every 3''. Should I base a storm off of 6"?

6. grandview

No. price it for ever 3 inches. So if you get 9 inches of snow and you plowed them 3 times bill them 3 times.

7. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

So you are saying that they will want you to plow just once per storm no matter the amount?

8. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Twenty bucks tymusicgets the equipment to the driveway then 10dollars per 4 inches, or 15 dollars for a 6 inch snowfall and so on. That way if its a heavy snowfall ya cant lose money , in fact if you have efficient equipment (Not just a plow truck:help:) like a tractor :nod:with loader and snowblower you make even better money per hour as its working in its element. Back drag the snow with a back blade attached to the loader and snow blow it away.

9. mmlklandscapes

from nh

I'm saying they want a flat rate per storm no matter how many inches the storm is. So I'm thinking of basing it off of each storm being 6'', meaning that I will charge them for two pushes per storm.

10. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Gotcha, sounds good.

11. Jacobsmovinsnow

No Way I would nt do that.

12. grandview

Correct. You mean you'll plow 12 inches of snow for the same price as 2?

13. plowinli

plowinli Member

What if you get 12" storm with 3" of freezing rain? They want that to be the same price as a 6" storm?

14. Jacobsmovinsnow

Ya thats where management is heading. Your asking for trouble as there is no well defined perimeters in the job description. Come invoice paying time , expect a phone call dictating how much they are gonna pay.

15. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

you have to watch in what direction that will fall you can loose your shirt on bids like this.
    i only do resi but all my customers know if we get more then 6 inches the price goes up.
    example a 2 car wide by 2 car long drive with 30 feet of walk way to front door. is 50 bucks 2-6 inches of snow,6.01 to 8 inches its 65 bucks 8-10 its 75 ,10 to 12 is 100 then i go up from there .
    ice is more... you can get 2 inches of snow and 1/4 in of ice on to blow the snow and ice come back in 10 minutes and have 1 solid sheet of ice.
    same drive with the conditions above will cost them 150 dollars they will also get 25 lbs of calcium or rocksalt but i will only do the work after the event
    these are my average drives that i manage i have 10 customers like them my route is tight from start to finish im home in 3 hrs. on a average storm of 6-8 inches and its after it stops snowing thats with a snow blower and im a 1 man show i do have a back up blower just in case..

16. Jacobsmovinsnow

tymusicThats good money KEC we would nt get that up here

17. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

i got lucky this year also 6 of the 10 drives are custom pavers so the home owners do not want no blowers with metal on the drives thats why i use the toro 210 rubber paddles.
    dont get me wrong the larger snow we had i was bustin my a$$

18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

When I first started, I priced per storm. No matter what, it was a set price. WOW...I got ALOT of driveways like that. Awesome, I'm making good money...until I plowed my first blizzard. Dang, I went there 3 times and only got 30 bucks. That doesn't work out too well. So I say $XX.XX each visit. They ask me when I come, I tell them it'll vary. Driveways are my bonus money, so this kind of deal may not work for everyone. I'll plow it every 4-6 inches. If we're forecasted to get 8, I'll just do it after. That is of course if its powder. The cement storms are different. That'll be every 4." I try to be reasonable, These people help pay my bills so I work with them. You show up 3 times, get paid for 3 times.