1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Storm or Per Day

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QuadPlower, Dec 8, 2007.

1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I have been reading a lot about plowing 2 or 3 times during a “storm”. One customer didn’t take on a plower from this site because he said he might have to plow 2 or 3 times during a storm and their bill would be over $100.

I plow one time per drive/sidewalk in a 24 hour period. Here is an example.

It snows Monday night 3”. Tuesday a.m. I go out and plow my clients. During the day on Tuesday it snows another 3” from the same “storm”. I go out on Wednesday a.m. and plow my clients. My clients get charged for 2 pushes on the same “storm” but during 2 different days.

Have there been times when I plow twice on Tuesday due to Monday night and Tuesday snow falls over my trigger amount. Yes & No. Some I do because they are seasonal and it would just be easier for me to plow them on Tuesday p.m. and not on Wednesday a.m. The storm is over and I have to do the others that require it only once per 24 hours on Wednesday a.m.

When people talk about plowing 3 times a “storm” is it during a single day or over 2 or 3 days. I understand commercial being different and requiring different standards than a residential driveways.

I guess the question is, how many of your contracts put a limit on how many times in a 24 hour period their driveway will be cleared?

If you plow in the a.m. before the client goes to work and it snows during the day, how many go back to plow that snow away in the afternoon before the client gets home from work? Or do you wait until the next a.m. to clear them out?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Up till this year, I had charged so much for anything that fell in a 24 hour period. Then I'd may plow several times during a storm or wait till it's over and plow it all at once. It just depended on circumstances. This year, I've changed it to charging one rate for each time I plow, whether that's once a storm or three times a storm. But, I plow every 6" to 8" inches. Then when the storm is over; if I plow or not depends on whether the trigger has been met since the last time I plowed.

3. QuadPlower

Mick, do your driveway clients require you to plow 2 or 3 times a day if the snow fall warrents it? Or do you come back the next a.m. and push again?

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We charge for every push, we push at every 2-3"

5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Same here every 4" gets plowed. I plow drives 2 times a day morning and night. Unless they call me for more, Never yet had a problem with it.

6. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

i plow my drives once, unless they call me or we are expect to get a big one

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, THEY don't require me to push; I do. I set it up that way when I first talk to them. I'll be pushing every so often so as not to let it get built up and be hard on equipment. If they want me to just come at the end, then get someone else. Yes, I charge one rate for each time I push. Again, if that's not ok; get someone else.

8. golfstud88

golfstud88 Member

If the snow is going to be between 2-4 inches i will usually wait till its over and then plow. Probably pre salt the areas when the storm starts. If the snow is going to amount between 5-8 inches i will plow at the first 2-3 inches and then once more when the storm is all over. I haven't had any problems with this way. Hope it helps.

9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Flat fee per visit.
    This applies up to 6 inches, if it does not stop at 6" I show up and plow and again when it hits 6" or when it stops. Waiting until the end with big storms is not an option. If they don't like that then they will be happier with someone else I tell them.

10. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Most of them for me are every 2 inches plow. Some are maintain truck routes, visitor lots and employee parking lots and bill hourly, so if I open something up I just keep track of my time. I had mentioned before that I bought one guy out, one thing that we just changed from his "ways" was that he use to go out when it was done snowing. We have changed and convinced everyone that 2 inches is better so they dont get burried and I really think he wasnt taking care of anyone as he could of. It may have been that it wasnt his main line of work. So we have pretty well expanded our income now just by adding a better service plus we added salt/sand which he never offered. Customers know it is going to cost more but everyone has seemed fine with it. One cheapy said no no just wait till its done but I think one big nasty storm will convince him.

I am thinking after this year if I could change some of these to seasonal I would be set.

11. QuadPlower

Thanks for the responses.

I have a 2" trigger and start plowing at around 5 a.m. Except for the seasonals, I get paid per push, with 1 push in a 24 hour period.

What most of you are saying is that you go back in the p.m. to plow the drives again if there is enough snow to meet your trigger and get paid for the additional push. Rather than wait until the next a.m. to go out and clear them. I do this with the seasonals for the most part.

FYI: No one I know waits until the storm is over to plow it once. (professional anyway)

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here.......:cool: