1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per push?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Ne1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

How do you guys figure your per push pricing? If I would normally charge $200 to push a 1"-3" snow for a certain lot what would charge per push for the bid. Considering all storms are not the same I'm trying to figure an average price. Would you charge $300 to cover yourself and hope you don't get many 12" events? This is for plowing only everything else is bid separate. In my area per push pricing isn't that common. Thanks for the advice.

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

How's the contract written?

Our "per push" properties, the contract states that we start at the first trigger amount, and the property is cleared every time that trigger is reached through the end of the storm. Meaning, 2 inch trigger, 6 inch storm, it's pushed 3 times, and they pay the "per push" price 3 times. May be incorrect way to do it, but we seem to have no problem selling the work.

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

The contract has a 2" trigger. If its snowing during business hours there's a separate price to clean the drive lanes and keep all main roads open. After business hours it's a per push price regardless of the amount.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

That's what I do.

5. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

So, how do you come up with a price "per push". As I stated above on a 1"-3" snow I would charge $200. How do you factor in the larger snows that you will get?

6. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

Here is a snip from my contract.

This bid is based on a price of:
    $__123.00______ per push for 2.0” to 4.9”
    $__154.00______ per push for 5.0” to 7.0”
    $__195.00______ per push for accumulations greater than 7.0”

I have found that when you put non rounded numbers people stop and look at it and ask questions. As if how did you come up with that number... It opens dialog and allows me to take a sales approach to say that, well unlike other companies we have accurately measured your property and feel this is the most accurate rate we can provide. What ever price you do end up going with my sweet spot in North East Ohio has been between $90-150 per event for smaller mom and pop restaurants and shops. Business's and smaller shopping plaza's between $150-250 is more inline with what I charge... Good Luck!

7. John_DeereGreen

I guess I left that part out of mine. We do it the same way, generally as a half billing for driving lanes, etc.

If your trigger is 2", then you would (or at least I would) charge your price for whatever that falls in in your price structure.

In your example above, you plow when it hits 2", and they're billed $200.00. When another 2" has fallen, you plow again, and bill another $200.00. If you just do driving lanes only, then I bill at half rate, meaning they pay $100.00 for the second clearing. If it snows further, or the lot needs cleaned up, we go in after closing and do a cleanup that's billed at half rate, meaning another $100.00, or if there has been another 2 inches fall, or close to it, the entire lot is cleared again, salted, and they're billed for another $200.00 plus salt.

Pretty much, whatever your trigger is, it gets cleared at that, and billed at your price for that trigger. The catch is, you have to make sure you have enough equipment to keep up in the bigger snows, or you end up doing what you seem to be worried about, and clearing 4 or 6 inches for the price of 2.

8. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Ok, maybe I need to clarify this. Let's assume its an overnight snowfall and you go in and only plow it once. The contract states they want a "per push price" for that lot regardless of the amount of snow. If it's a daytime event that's where we would start plowing at the 2" trigger and would bill that out separately under "maintenance plow"

So, how would guys figure out your per push price on something like that? It could be a 2" snow or a 10" snow...

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's impossible. You almost could.t give them a price. If it were me shoot way high and cover you behind. Almost any way you could loose.
    And as a good plower you would monitor the lot and not let it get that deep.

10. John_DeereGreen

I wouldn't do it.

11. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I'm leaning that way. I'm not familiar with that kind of pricing structure. Everything around here is bid by the inch.

12. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Its not that hard!

Bill every time you are there. Weather you are just opening things up during the day and have to come back to clean it up at night. Or if you plow the entire lot once.

If you wait until it stops snowing on a 10" storm you won't have the account long! I'm at my commercial sites every 2" and bill for how ever many times I'm there.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Glenn that's not what they want. They want 2 prices. No cars in lot. X amount of snow .....how much 1-22 inches don't matter.
    Then howuch per open push

14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

How much would you want for 2" ?

How much for 12" ?

I would split the difference between those numbers. If 2" were $200, and 12" were $400, I would ask $300 per push.
    It sounds like with no cars it would be a fairly simple lot? I wouldn't let it pass by for fear of having to push 12" for a 6" price. More often than not, you will only be pushing 2-6 inches I would think?

15. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Your right the majority of snows we get are less than 3". I was just trying to cover myself for the big events which will happen.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The majority of my contracts are priced per push. I charge the same whether it snows 2" or 20". My customers love the fact it's one charge and that's why I have all the business that I do.

17. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

So when figuring your plowing numbers do you figure most of your snowfalls will be under a certain amount of inches and go that route?

18. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

With Charging the same for 2-20" you are leaving a lot of money on the table. I charge by how much it snows. No free lunch.

19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, exactly. And then I really make sure I bring home the point that the price stays the same regardless of the snow depth. You would be amazed at how many times I hear "Yeah, my last guy said it snowed 6" when it only snowed 4!". You will alleviate all those problems by sticking with one price.

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. I can't give out details but that's similar as to what we do