1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per push vs. contract

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Luke S., Sep 11, 2013.

1. Luke S.

Luke S. Junior Member
    from st.paul

Hey guys,
    I'm Luke Stead, crew leader for Lions share maintenance, based out of St.Paul,MN

Last year was our first year doing snow removal and we want to step up our marketing this year. I'm wondering which kind of account is better to have: Per push or monthly/annual contracts?

We do mainly residential, so I'm also wandering if we should do a 1" or 2" trigger to remain competitive?

I Look forward to your responsesa, and to getting to know you guys

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you go per push with those low risks you'll make a killing.if you go seasonal with those totals you'll ma@e a killing

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

For resi around here & I think most places 2" trigger will prob fly better if your charging per push, if you can get a 1" trigger all the better. As for what you should do I'd say whatever is standard for your area, but really I think you need to offer both, & do which ever the customer wants. Untill you get to a place where you can do which ever you prefer.

4. mark268

mark268 Member

I'm not in Mn., but we offer 1" and 2", both per push and seasonal contracts. It really all depends on what the customer wants. Give them some options, just remember to keep them realistic to your costs.

5. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Plowing 1"? Hard sell to most people who could do their driveay with a shovel in no time. 2" wet heavy 3" powder / reg. Snow is normally what I see around here. You could always salt sand the 1" and let it mwlt. Less there is more snow otw.

6. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I second this.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have several resi's and comercial property's with 1" triggers, some at 2" and a few with 4". I agree 1" seems silly at best but it's what the customer requested and we all know the customer is always right...........:rolleyes:

8. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I have one residential customer that wants 1" and private lanes want one inch to reduce ice build up. Most only want 2"

Problems with a seasonal seems to be with in the emotions of the contractor or client. The only time both parties are truly happy is an average snow fall or what ever you based your seasonal on. If it snows a lot, contractor is unhappy, if it snows little, client doesn't feel like they got their moneys worth. Sure thats the nature of the game but does the customer really understand that? I just charge them for what i do for them, like any other job. Some pay up front, which is nice.

Seeing you are in Mn and looking at last season, per push seems to be the best option financially.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013