1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

per push vers seasonal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by littlerhino, Oct 17, 2001.

1. littlerhino

littlerhino Junior Member
    from Mi

Tanks for the help . What do you think is better for bids on that kind of job per push or seasonal also, salting is 60 dollars a yd. to much or does that sound about right to you guys. thanks for all the help im going to need it ,this is the first year ill be on my own plowing and i tink iv alreadey got more work then i will be able to handle one more thing befor bed how much should i pay subs if i need them and does a contract that signed cover my subs for dammage or liability?if any thig should go wrong any answers???
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Many sucessful plowers have a mix of both.

In the markets my company services, I go for 10 trips minimum - paid up front - like a legal retainer. Then after 10, we bill per trip.

$60 a yard for salt? Huh? You mean that's what you're paying for it?

We price per trip or per yard and we try for $300/ton.

Subs? Again a market-driven scenario. Ranges from $20-$70/hour.
    At any rate, get your subs in WRITING, get INSURANCE, get it incentive-laiden.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I always tried to do it by the storm on an inch type of scale ,that way you can never really get hurt ( unless we get no snow) .Doing seasonal is good some time and you get it up front which is a plus .As far as sanding I look at the job and try to judge how much tonage I will use and price accordingly,Sanding will be you biggest money makes so don't price yourself to short around here I was paying $27 a ton for a mix sand/salt I will be trying magic this year to enhance the melting action so I will most likely have to charge a little more for that.
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

As Kent Lawns points out, rate/hr for subcontractors depends on the going rate in YOUR area. Find out what it averages in your location & go from there.

From the perspective of a sub (that's what I'll be doing this season, will work better for me with my full-time job) I am required to carry proper insurance. Make sure your subs are properly insured.
  5. littlerhino

littlerhino Junior Member
    from Mi

What kind of coverage would i be looking for to cover my a?% incase of any problems coverage meaning how much money would a insurance plan cost

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

MI liability rates are extremely expensive. I have been searching for two years, and have found nothing that is remotely as cheap as these other guys in the other states.

If you plow only, expect a 1 mill policy to be over $2000.00 per year. If you do landscaping, and add plowing, its more reasonable. I don't.
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Littlerhino - with regard to insurance pricing, again - that varies all over the map depending on where you are. You'll need to seek out quotes in your area.

In my case, I'm looking at $2400/yr (in Canadian $, so about $1700 your money) - that's auto and 2 mil commercial general liability. I'm in the same boat as Tom - plowing only, no landscape work.

In your case, I'd imagine you'll have coverage needs similar to mine: Automobile and Commercial General Liability - at least 1 mil, preferably 2 mil.

Have you checked out SIMA (Snow and Ice Management Association) ? If you're serious about snow, it's well worth looking into. www.sima.org is their website address.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2001