1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per push to seasonal poll question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 19, 2012.

Per push to seasonal next year

Poll closed Mar 20, 2012.
  1. yes

2. no

3. 50-50

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

With a lite season this year will the per push guys work to sell seasonal contracts for next year?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

So if we have seasonals now can we still vote?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I tried fixing that,but to late. So I guess vote yes.
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

YES. No one will buy it though
  5. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Probably be a tough sell, but we're going to try to get a few into the mix. Sure woulda been nice this year.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've got a couple of more accounts where we've been talking about seasonal pricing and I'll still be pushing it.

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem I forsee is the guys that are going to be new to the seasonal gig are going to way underbid it driving the prices down just to have the gauranteed money which is really going to screw things up. Hopefully everyone doing it now pushes education on their customers. Here we may not have plowed much but we are darn near average for the season on the number of saltings with a month and a half to go.......
  8. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We dont include salt in a seasonal to much gamble.
    As for next I agree with others may be a hard sell but people didnt forget last season educate the clients is going to be the key.
    We will still have around the same we keep it about 50-50 to diversify and protech us on heavy and light winters.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The time to sell seasonals is after a bad winter not after a winter like this.
  10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Where I work it's hard to get anything but seasonal. Another consecutive season or two like this, would actually be a good thing.
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A seasonal is your average # of snowfalls over the years. The guys pushing per push should have money in the bank from the heavy years to carry them through the lean years. Hard lesson to learn but one that should have learned as a kid growing up with your allowance. Now if this is your first season and you bought all new equipment I hope you make it through. My stuff is 25/75 split depending on how much it snows. 75% is my seasonal.
  12. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

What I really don't get is on the per push concept is how you manage to go out and make the call to plow!

You are getting paid to push but not to monitor sites 24/7 and what else is part of the business.
    That sounds to me like the per push accounts get this as a freebie!
    Why would someone do site checks, be on 24/7 stand-by and all and get not paid for that?
    We carry a lot of equipment, expenses and overhead just to not get paid in return?

I miss the concept on per push contracts....
  13. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I will be curious to see how seasonal accounts look at bidding next year. Law of economics tells me down-down-down. I don't think it will take low ballers to do this. For those that may offset this via education, I would think you could make more as a School District Superintendent! We will find out come Oct/Nov.

I am sticking old school, bank the money in the good years and lay back in the slow. My biggest concern will be a guarantee for the winter employees.
  14. A Man

A Man Senior Member

We still have some per push accounts which we highly value as they are hard to come by on zero tolerance accounts.
    We charge a minimum for any salt application whether it's a pail or a half tonne, and since we have guys doing site checks daily anyway it covers the cost of them being out. On the average morning they might only spread a dozen pails but we will be able to bill for a few tonne at a minimum.

We've had these accounts for over 10 years and there is no way I'll find more like them.
  15. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Like JD Dave commented the best time to get those per push or hourly clients over to seasonal is after a heavy snow fall season. But the biggest issues for us is convincing them that a seasonal is a better deal for both contractor and client. They just don’t get it here. And just because some of us do a lot of per push prices doesn’t mean that we get to carry that money over from year to year. The government takes their nice cut on the profits we make at the end of the year first
  16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I am 100% per push, and have been except for 1 contract a couple years ago (BTW, it was a light winter and i did come out ahead). I am willing to gamble that we get snow, and if we don't, we will still be o.k. I feel winters are going to turn, its just hard to say when. We are due for a hard winter, its been several years now
  17. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

If you look at averages it will balance out over a 3-4 year average no matter if you are per push or seasonal.
    Most just don't look at it that way.
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I will admit I didn't think about the income tax problem. You will pay a higher percentage on a heavy snow year that you won't really get back.
  19. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I agree with you but think a lot of these clients/properties want to bid it every year to get a better 'deal'...
  20. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

all but 2 of my accts are seasonal.... so far so good this season.