1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per push question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by GreenscapesWV, Oct 12, 2011.

1. GreenscapesWV

GreenscapesWV Junior Member
    from wv

CURRENTLY WON BID ON 6 APARTMENT COMPLEXES AND AM TRYING TO SETMY ACCUMLATION CHART. THE PER PUSH PRICE COVERS UP TO 5" OF SNOW. iF THERE IS OVER 5" OF SNOW HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE PER 3-5" OF SNOW ACCUMULATION? MORE SNOW MORE TIME OBVIOUSLY AND I DONT WANT TO TAKE A LOSS. WHAT RULE OF THUMB ARE YOU GUYS USING WHEN SNOW EXCEEDS THE PER PUSH ACCUMULATION? THANKS IN ADVANCE!1

2002 CHEVY 2500 HD POWER V 8.2

2. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

was your bid written in all caps? Also, how did you win the bid if you didn't submit numbers?

3. GreenscapesWV

from wv

I put in a per push price in the contract i will put the accumulation chart

4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Ok, im learning the same thing tonight. Most guys add 50% of their base push price for each tier. From what I can tell. Im using this method for properties I've done before and it seems pretty close

Ie
    1-4 100 dollars
    4-6 150
    6-8 200

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Well if you are allowed to change your bid after acceptance, I would have your up to 5" price then charge double for 5.000001-5.000002" then double it again for 5.000003-5.000004" and so on....I gotta get me some customers like this.....

6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Heck, don't get crazy, really you should go 5.000001-5.000003

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My question on the per push with an increase is, where were you for the first 5 inches and why should they pay more because your late. Man,I like seasonal contracts!

8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

never thought of this... HOW TRUE! wtf, do you just add total storm accumulation? or how much is on the ground when you push? that would suck ass to push a 5-10" deep snow all at once.:realmad:

9. GreenscapesWV

from wv

this particular complex only wants plowed once a day no matter what! so if icome at 9am monday and it snows 9" monday night and tuesday theres that much snow..all others want me there 2"

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Dump them ,not worth it.

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The whole pricing per inches thing is way too much trouble and leaves room for the customer to argue. Either go seasonal or flat rate per storm.

12. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Agreed. I don't like per inch pricing as it isn't the customer's choice how much snow is there during a storm. Seasonal/monthly or per storm (push).

I have seasonal/monthly with 3 inch trigger and per storm.

During big storms I cruise around during the day for quick $20 jobs to clear the apron of the driveway where the road plow passed. Use that as my marketing tool to get more contracts.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Those were great, but I never looked for them. Some schmuck would be there exhausted and I'd get waived down. I used to knock a couple of those out every storm or so. That would be my gas and coffee payup I never got any actual customers from that though.

14. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I've gotten a few customers from doing that. It doesn't work all the time, but I'm making money and marketing at the same time. Usually I'll just get the "big storm customers" that want service for a foot of snow or more when it really comes down.

15. bigstumpyd

bigstumpyd Junior Member

My contract says every 3 inches is x amount of dollars. So if we get 6 inches of snow I plow two times. at 3 and 6 inches.

16. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

Dont want to sound dumb I'm trying to figure out the best wat to provide a estimate, just in case I ever need to or want to.

what if the officaial snow count is 5" or 5.5? you would plow at 3 and again at 5" ?

17. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

you should always give a formal estimate so both partys know whats going on.