1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Per Push" Pricing Assistance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DSLND, Nov 21, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Hey guys,

Preparing a bid for a row of condos (six total).

They are wanting full lawn maintenance services along with snow removal services. I will just be shoveling the drives being the biggest one is prob 10x25.

Question: I am doing "per push" pricing, with a trigger of 1". How should i arrange my prices for certain amounts of accumulation.

For example:
    1in: X Amount
    2in: X Amount

Should I submit my prices in an arrangement such as the one above? Or another way?

Thanks!

-Mitch-

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are many ways and it's been covered a couple times on here. What some (including me) use, is something like:

3" to 6" - $50
    over 6" to 9" - $75
    over 9" to 12" - $100
    over 12" - $100 plus $10 an inch over 12"

In this example, 3" is the trigger depth. All numbers are just for illustration. The "over 12" " is called a "storm clause".

3. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks! Also, say there is snow falling at about two inches an hour, and theres expected about ten inches total, do you guys find it easier to go out and remove the snow each hour, and "plow with the storm" as i've heard, or wait until all accumulation has fallen.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

mitch if u have a snow blower just give them a 2inch trig and dont let ur snow go past like 6 inchs after that u just wont beable to move it far enough

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It really depends on what the customer wants and circumstances. I've often waited and pushed all at once especially if it's light and fluffy snow. I've got a couple places I usually don't plow in the dark due to narrow roadway with sharp curves and steep dropoffs. Then, again, if it's wet and heavy snow, I'll go out after 4-5". I also have some "vacation homes" that only need to be done when they come up and for fire trucks. They'll usually wait till I'm done with everything else. Last winter, I let one of them go too long and had to bring in the tractor with front end loader.

edit; oops - just realized you're shoveling. I'd stipulate that you shoveling or snowblow every 4-5 inches.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Hey Mitch. What we do is say this is your price for under 8". If they (meaning www.noaa.gov) expect over 8", we are going to plow you twice and bill you twice for it. I find this to be much easier to bill for and takes out a lot of confusion or potential arguements.

7. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks Austin!

-Mitch-

8. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Alright....

I've come to the conclusion that ths job is too large for me to take on until i get my truck and plow. Its a total of four double driveways, and two single. I've decided to sub it out for this season.

I plan on subbing it out to my friend, Paul (razorman here on PlowSite). How should i go about doing this?

Thanks!

-Mitch-

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

10. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

If this is the only job your subbing out to him I would suggest that you just give him the job for the first year and tell him you are going to take care of it next year.

If you are subbing more work to him, ask him what hourly rate he would want to sub for you (varies depending on amount of hours and location of jobs). A typical rate is $50 per hour.

Do you guys have a fourwheeler? You could put a plow on that... or don't you have a snowblower?

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If thats the only job you are subbing to him. Then give him a flat rate. I could plow those six condos in quite a bit less than a hour. No way would I touch them for $50. Since around here you could easily get $120, but I would charge more like $150.

12. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks Guys!

I'll come up with an agreement for the job.

Austin, i have a garden tractor with a plow, but its a PITA to haul around and plow small places with.

Thanks!

-Mitch-