1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Push = Per Visit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rsibill, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

Per Push = Per Visit
    Does a pass = a single motion (width of truck) up to 50 ft (1 pass = 17.50)
    therefore two passes = 35.00 for a "push"?

Am I catching on, or should I go back to building sand castles?

2. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

A "push" clears the entire property. You push once at the trigger depth and again for each inch (or whatever increment you specify in the contract) of accumulation.
  3. RON66106

RON66106 Member

What's the difference?
  4. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Huh? Difference between what?
  5. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Per visit or per push. If you can't tell the difference then your not cut out to be in this business. I only showup when the weather dictates and push while I am there. If the weather or customer dictate I need not be there why else would I show up? Seems silly to me. Wasted thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Ron, why are you even bothering to respond if you're going to be such a jerk? - he was just asking a simple question.

Per visit and per push (to me) are the same thing. If i'm going to visit the property i'm going to plow the driveway/lot.

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well some of my contracts are per push{Banks},and others by 1-3 3-6 6-9 9+{Home Improvement Centers}and so on.So if it snows 4 inches on sun night and is over by 4am mon morning i may only plow one time but i charge the higher price bracket,but my per push contract is going to suck because i only pushed 1 time because of the time the storm came in.A daytime storm is what u want when your getting per push pricing {Banks are open all day they want to see u every 1 to 2 hrs so u make a killing}were as Home Depot is paying on the total amount of snow,regaurdless of how many times u plow the lot off.U are getting 1 set price.Per push is the way to go if u can get those contracts
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yes. Per plow, per push, per visit, per move....it all equals the same thing. This is not to say that each push equals the same amount of money. For a newbie, you have to understand that there are different price structures for additional amounts of snow. For instance, pushing 8" of snow is not going to be the same price as 2". Maybe a moderator will be so kind as to combine these threads. :)
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, to add to what Echo says, there are some who do their formulations in direct proportian to the amounts of snow. In other words, if it's X for 2-4", then it is 2X for 4-8", and so on from there. Once you start getting up around 10", the push prices start to get a bit more extreme, anyway.
    This way, if you come in twice and make it easier on your truck, or if you only make it in once, it comes out to be the same.
  10. RON66106

RON66106 Member

seems to be what this board has become.
  11. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Simply put..If YOU don't like the board..DON'T visit. We wish you well and hope you have a nice Holiday and a Happy New Year.
  12. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Why don't you get a nice tall glass of shut the hell up?
  13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you are new to the plowing business you may conceder charging by the minute/hour untill you get the feal as to how long it takes you to do a job. That way there is no complicated formula to figure out. After a year or so you could change to a
    (per push/#of plows*inches of snow+number of trips >triger) in a 24 hour period.

I know most of the experanced plowers out there don't like plowing by the hour/minute but it sure is easy to figure out how much to charge and both parties get a fair shake.
  14. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I would be carefull if you considering wording a contract with per push or per visit. Consider the hypothetical, its a major blizzard, and your clearing a large lot (shopping mall, or similiar) and by the time you finish, you have to start back over again. You never left the property, so your on the same visit, but your onto a new push. Fine line, but worth wording correcty for a contract.

15. Billz

Billz Member

I have a video rental place that pays me per push...if I have to come at say 9:00 pm because there is 2 inches of snow, and I can only plow 1/3 of the total lot due to customers, I still charge a visit, then another at night after they close to finish it up.
  16. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

another option

I don't see it mentioned very often, so I'll put it out there again:

Among the many ways to charge is "per season." I charge a flat price, that will be paid. The contract states when and what I will plow. If we hit the trigger, I go out and earn the money that's already in the bank. If we don't hit the trigger, the money is still in the bank and I go to bed!

It's not hard to calculate the price here in SE MI....we don't get THAT much snow. I figure out an average per-push price, figuring some will be little snow and some will be bigger. I figure out the range of snow events here (7-10) and I take the higher number (10). Multiply the two and you have a per season price.

Weather you go per-push or per season, someone will come out better each year depending on weather. What I find is that especially on residentials they like paying one flat price knowing that they'll never touch a shovel or write another check this season. Also, I know that the money is in the bank whether it snows or not. My mortgage company doesn't care if it snows or not, they send a bill anyways. So, I need to make sure that money is there, even if I have to work a little harder one year....it'll all average out.
  17. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Yes, I am near you, in Warren, and I was suprised this year by how many of my residentials actually did want a per season price over a per push price. This is my first year, so a few of my customers I gave a choice of per season or per push, I gave them prices both ways, and they all went with the per season price. I think they see the per push price and get scared of the "unknown", so when they saw one flat rate, they felt more comfortable. Thats the only way I think I can explain it, but next year I think all of my prices are going to be seasonal prices. I did pick up 3 per push, just to compare the two rates. But so far, I havent had to plow once (2" trigger), and I just salted for the first time last night (salting was extra).

18. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Nobody is ever happy, though. I have one older lady who is on a "per season" basis. I break the total into 4 monthly payments November - February. MOST of my people are on a per "occurrence" basis. (All residential)

The per season lady is always wondering why I didn't come sooner, or often enough, etc. Except for November, when we only had 3 plowable snowstorms. She said "$150 for 3 plows...I almost fell over when I saw that bill." Then I've got one of my per "occurrence" people calling to say that "you don't need to come today. Just catch us next time".

Its human nature, I suppose. But SOME of my people seem to think that a flat-season price gets them plowed every time a flake falls. And the people who pay per occurrence don't want you to come until there's a foot of snow.

I have a trigger depth in the contract, and I include a phrase like: (paraphrased) Plowing will be done at 4" trigger depending on time and conditions." Basically that means, if we hit our trigger at 6pm. I'm going to wait until morning, or the end of the storm to come plow you out. Not start my route at 6pm...then have 1" fall between 6pm and the next morning.

(BTW, I doubt the administrator has any control of words in the spell check program...but for a board like this you'd think that "plowable" would be in there.)
  19. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Take the lot length and REDUCE it by 7.134 percent, and then take the lot width and DIVIDE it by 2. Take that figure and them charge $135.00 plus the current rate of inflation DIVIDED by 3.584 percent for depreciation of your plow equipment. That is how we charge our customers, unless they want our previous customer discount of 7.6952 percent divided by 3. payup

Got it? :dizzy:

We think this is a much easier way to make a profit than to just charge by the "push" or by "yearly contract".

Oh, and by the way, that guy was talking about your Mom... :gunsfiring:
  20. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

push pull?

There is no sense in explaining this stuff to people who should not be in this business.