1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Push Contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tiflawn, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Tiflawn

Tiflawn Member

I have to vent. I am so tired of nationals asking contractors to bid on a per push or per event contract with an 8 hour no snow limit before another event or push can start. Anyone thats been pushing snow for a while knows some events can last for a day or two. A lot of these big box stores require aisle push's during the day that can not be charged as a push on some of these contracts. Wake up people! Nationals are bringing prices and quality of work provided down to dangerously low levels. Say what you want about the " I don't have a problem with them" nationals. They are all in the same business. They are just pimps in the snow industry.
    I am fortunate that I still retain my big box stores year after year. I cringe when I see one of my fellow contractors say they signed with a pimp because its better than nothing. Nothing is better than whoring yourself out. Just had to vent. Thanx
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

They are deceitful in their contract language. They try to turn per push into per event to confuse the contractor and when he invoices for three pushes during an eight hour storm they say, "Oh we are not paying for that, it says it right here in your contract". It's all BS
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Yet it was all specified up front in the contract before work began. If one fails to read and comprehend a contract, they're a fool for signing it.
  4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Never heard it described like this before :D ......but its true
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

pimps and plows....what a concept...lmao
  6. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

The best thing we can do is not be foolish and agree to terms that are not reasonable. You wouldnt salt a lot for $500 when it costs you $600 in salt, so why are so many of us trying? Trying to provide service according to a very poor scope of work sub agreement only ruins your reputation. Most nationals contract to only pay for pushing over two inches, so if an inch of sleet falls youre going to lose wether you salt a few times or plow and then salt; they are only going to pay you for one salt. Its foolish for one to think a lot he used to do for 60k per season with ten percent profit could be done for 18k. It cant on an average season, dont be fooled by the nationals pricing. Eventually the nationals will go under or change the way they do busniess, either way will work for the guy who is actually providing the service. "Nationals" or "paper companies" have tried in other industries and have failed. Do not let them stick around any longer. It might be nice for a large box store to write one check to one national service provider, eventually when they keep getting less of a service and pay more for it they will understand how foolish a middleman is. The local stores will have to let their corporate know whats going on for a change to take place.

Most wont even introduce themselves or try to form a decent business realationship with you.. They know how badly they are about to cheat you. Has anyone ever had a national rep come to their shop and introduce his company?

Think of this.. It should be illegal for a national to award a job to an inexpierenced contractor who bids half of what it will cost him to properly do the job. How many of you guys received calls last season from the nationals to bail them out because the guys they hired at below cost prices failed to show up after the first storm? We received two. The national knows it cant be done but because of their bulletproof contract they will profit either way. The poor guy who was convinced by a national that the lot could be done for those numbers is now taking the loss and harming his reputation; possibly winding up in a lawsuit. Other businesses have laws.. a bank couldnt lend a million dollars to a family with 20k income per year, large busniesses cant monopolize, taking more from someone than you compensate them for is stealing.. There is a loop hole here in our industry right now. The nationals are getting away with theft. Does anyone notice this in their area or am I a special case? Does anyone know how to get the necessary laws in place to stop this from happening? If they were decent businesses and cared about the service we provide I could understand working with them, but they are after the money and dont care about the service. When is the last time you saw a national company have a rep out in the storm with you? Dont let them take advantage of you anymore.
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

To be honest who cares... Your price is your price. I can stay home and brake even. And that's not why am in business

If you don't like the bid requirements don't bid on it.. Let your compition bid and get the work. Watch them fail, or loose so much money they don't stay in business. Granted the national company will never take the fal, it will be the sub company stupid enough to work for them. But hey the less competitors in my area the better