1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Push charging question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 07PSDCREW, Sep 6, 2011.

1. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Hi, I've been reading in here alot and I've decided to go with per push pricing on my potential customers.... I just want to make sure I have the system right.
    On a per push basis with say a 12" storm, if the customer wants a 6" trigger, that means I'd go twice and bill for two per pushes?
    And on the same 12" storm, say a customer wants a 3" trigger, I'd bill for 4 per pushes?
    Is this correct?
    Should I also set up a depth chart price plan for the customers who only want me to come once to push the whole 12"?
    I've never done my own pricing before, just working for someone else Gettin paid by the hour with their equipment.
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Well you have the concept right but if a customer has a 6" trigger would you leave a 4 or 5" storm unplowed? I dont suggest it. If you have too many trigger depths your going to be wasting a lot of time driving around figuring out who needs to be plowed yet when you should be plowing in a compact route with as little driving in between as possible.
  3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Ok so a good trigger would be 2-3"? I just don't want to be going too many times. They might get annoyed. Can you maybe explain a typical per push customer?
    Maybe go the required 4x and then once more for a last cleanup? For free?
  4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

................You plow during the storm not when its over, people will only get annoyed if your not there to plow, a good trigger is 2". Get to know what your customers needs are, you could have an 8" storm and only go there twice, every storm is different,depends on how many customers you have.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your going that route on pricing you bill them for what ever amount of snow is there at the time you show up. On your 12 inch snow with 3 inch trigger,I don't think you'll be there 4 times unless it's your only account.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

In my area, people would be calling and asking why the heck did I plow 4 times during an 8" storm. You should try to do something like this.... 2" to 3.9" $30. 4" to 6.9" $35. 7" to 10" $40. 10+" $45. Keep in mind Im not saying those are exact numbers you should use, they are an example of a way to do it.

There is no way you can plow every account every 2". No residential would want that anyway. What I normally do is wait until the storm is over and then plow. If the snow is going to be getting deep to the point where they will not be able to get into or out of their garage easily, I get out and start plowing. Noone has ever complained that I haven't plowed yet. I dont think Ive ever plowed a driveway more than 2 times during a storm, and then a third time for a final cleanup at the end.
  7. grandview

That why I like seasonal contracts,no monkeying around with snow totals.
  8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow a path so they can get to work between 4:30 and 7:00 AM else I plow when the storm is over or every 4 to 6 inches on big storms.

I charge per storm, except for my seasonal contract people.
  9. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Ya I definitely like the per push rather than the increments of snow. It's easier I think. I don't know enough yet to come up with a fair price to bill seasonal yet.
  10. grandview

Your per push won't very to much with the size of the driveway. As for seasonal I take an ave. of 25 plows x's the per push price and that's about my seasonal price.