1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

per push again..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 20, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

when your figuring per push do you just figure in you hr. rate for a 1-3 snowfall or do you figure a little higher. Really could use your help here one more time. Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

clncut, read your PMs.

3. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Mick, check your pms

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

OK, I'm going to answer here since nobody else is. Then, I'd encourage anyone to offer additional advise. Or feel free to disagree. I'm also going to try to cover your other thread about the salting.

From reviewing your past threads it appears this is your first year plowing; you have zero experience. You bough a '97 GMC 1500 with 77,000 miles. Not sure what plow you're getting or whether new or used. You plan to do salting with a broadcast spreader.

My first suggestion is to stay small this first year. Stick to residential driveways till you've got some experience. I'm guessing that that 14,000 sq ft lot is a mini mall parking lot or an industrial parking lot. Either way, you need some general experience before you're ready for that. Also, it would require additional General Liability insurance. To pay, you'll need more than that one. Again, stick with residential driveways; preferably your own and a couple of friends' or family member's. Pricing is very regional. Around here, I'd probably charge $30 for a 12'x75' driveway, but then you get into is it a straight push or is there a lot of backdragging? You're going to figure out this year if you're too low or too high for your area. Don't worry about it. As for setting up your pricing schedule, first figure out what your trigger is generally. Again this is regional - around here 3" is common. In other areas it's 1". Say it's 3". Then you generally won't push anything under 3", but if someone does want lesser amounts pushed, it's still the charge of 3". Increments are up to you - common is 3-6, 6-9, 9-12. Some will go with a wider range, it's just up to you. I've started charging one price for anything up to 12". It's going over very well. I tell people it's a little higher than usual and I charge what I would charge for 6-9.

Salting - unless you have a truck mounted spreader, I wouldn't advertise or offer salting. The broadcast spreader just doesn't hold enough. As an idea, I've used a walk behind spreader which I had to load twice to do just last ten feet of my driveway. Wait another year to see if you want to do this and get the right equipment (3/4 ton truck with a tailgate spreader or a one ton with a Vbox). Again, you might spend this winter salting your own driveway and get a feel for spread rate, melting effect etc.

I probably forgot a lot that you asked. I'll go back and look.