1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per mile

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Quality SR, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

What do you guys charge per mile to plow? It is a 1 lane asphalt road.
  2. Quality SR

Any help would be great. I have a chance to bid a road that at a small airport. The road is a service road that goes around the perimeter or the airport. I am not sure how long it is maybe 4 or 5 miles. It is about 8' - 10' wide. Not sure if i should bid this by the hour, or by the mile. I know Mick posted something about this a while ago but i cant find the post. By the way I'll be using a truck with a 8' straight blade.
  3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We bid long drives by the hour figuring 10-15mph plowing speed and figure what we want per hour.

Soooo - a 12.5 mile road, 10 feet wide would take like 2 hours theoretically - an hour each way at 12.5 mph. Now if the road is in good condition, you'll be plowing more like 30 mph (except for some of the folks on here). take into account drive time to and from and also note that you will kill your cutting edge at least once per 15 - 20 plows (switch which way you drive up and down the road to reduce the wear)
  4. Quality SR

Thanks for the advice....... Anyone else..

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

A while back when I had a problem trying to figure out if I had my times correct on a job where the customer complained I found someone posted this link and it really helped because it showed me that my times were almost dead on. I would calculate hourly using this calculator. We have an airport that we do and what we did was went to the ministry and got a survey of the property for I think $10 and from there did the calculations and made a bid. One factor that we always toss us is that although it does take us a bit of travel time you have to be carefull how much you add for that cause someone else could not be spending any time traveling. If we are going to a place and doing sidewalks sand/salt and the plowing then we usually dont add anything for travel time within reason.
    Hope this helps. My concern right now is do I want to bid on things now or wait till its closer to the next season as maybe diesel will be more or maybe some guys will quit the business?