1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

per inch pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Jan 15, 2009.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

how many of you guys are billing by the inch? do you find it's more profitable or more convenient?
  2. gary42095

gary42095 Member

i go by the inch on the shopping centers i do. it is good and bad.. the good, those storms that start at 8 pm and end at 3 am so i can go out for a few hours and bag some huge money. the bad... the storm that starts at 6 am and lingers untill 8 am the next day. its by the inch and my call, so i have to baby sit untill stores close with constant isle clearingthen go back at 3-4 to start clearing for employees, then the following night to do a final cleanup where all the cars were parked.
    it comes down to good and bad... but this year has been bad with regard to lingering. still make money but nowhere near as much. XXX dollars for 5 hrs plowing with 3 loaders bobcat and 2 trucks... or same XXX dollars plowing for 17 hrs.
  3. tilawn

tilawn Member

smaller lots I do by the inch in 3 inch increments and the larger shopping centers I do by the hour that way I get paid all day sometimes when it is an all day storm payup:)payup

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i hav to sent in a snowfall report from noaa/or nws to be accurate to get paid
  5. tilawn

tilawn Member

as far as oficial numbers go my customers trust me. I service in 3 differnet towns and have certain areas I measure at for all 3. I also let my clients know where those places are at just in case they would like to check for themselves.
  6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I also bill by the inch,but add on a pass through fee for during the day and a clean up fee for going out after hours.
  7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thats fine, but if thats only how they base pay for the service.. what happens when the weather report shows an inch and you got 4? or shows 3" total and you had a 2' drift against a whole building? you get paid for 3"?
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

In my lots if it blew into somewhere it blew out of the rest
  9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

It doesn't always blow from somewhere else on the lot. Could be from a rooftop, like the two acre warehouse with a one acre lot to the SE. That is why we get out and measure in a flat area and they pay for what is in the lot, not what the weatherman says..
  10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

that's true, that's why i'm asking. i see pros and cons and i guess its just like everything else. i just see the problem being the clean up runs because generally it isn't new snow and another being a reliable place to measure outside of leaving a section of snow so that you and the manager can both measure to be sure.