1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per inch price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Henry, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Henry

Henry Member

How do you base your price per inch?

Say your typical res. drive is $35 up to 6". Do you use a percentage of the base price for the next increment? As the depth increases do you use a different %?
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

per inch price...

Residential drives per inch are you serious?

Do you want to keep arguing about how much snow fell in each customer driveway?

I recommend that you consider per push for residential driveways.

Then in a storm of over say 6 inches you can plow them twice and charge twice.

if you feel bad about charging twice @full price, you can consider giving them a break and charging full price for first push and half normal rate for each additional pass during the same storm.

example $40 first pass, + $20 second pass, + $20 third pass
    for a total of $80

verses $40 for each pass equalling $120.00

Its alot more profitable and easier to explain than per inch
  3. Henry

Henry Member

Last year our first event was about 21" and I charged alot of my customers for 3 stops at full price. The day after i mailed invoices my phone started ringing like mad.

These are also lawn customers and I'm trying to keep the work.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah, what he said.

Residential customers are a finicky group and you'll need your bidding, billing and customer service program oriented as such.

Rule #1: Keep it simple. Very simple.
  5. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Charging for three 7" plowings is pretty darn fair if you ask me. 21" = don't leave your house without a 4X4 and a lot of back breaking shoveling.
    The customer has to understand that it is entirely weather related and you do not dictate the storm but rather it dictates the level of service required. Also your time and the wear and tear on your equipment is worth every penny you charge.
    Keeping a customer is one thing but this is after all a busines not a charity.
    Try paying someone to shovel that much snow and you let them get of cheaply.

6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Its all in how you market it to them in the contract phase.

I do all residential and have never had a problem getting paid.

in my contract I clearly state that the cost for the driveway will be

I also clearly state that additional visits to the site in an extended storm will be charged out at $xx.00 per each additional visit.

They might call and question during the summer before they sign, but they sign the contract after I explain to them the logic of plowing smaller amounts of snow several times, than say 21 inches all at once.

I can see them complaining if you say in your contract that you will charge them $35.00 to plow their driveway each storm then hit them with a $105.00 bill for the first storm.

Thats what proposals and contracts are for.
  7. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

In my contracts I include a terms and conditions page that outlines how the work will be approached and performed.
    This usually clarifies any misunderstandings. If a customer has questions they are usually addressed before the contract is signed.

8. Henry

Henry Member

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I won't be making any changes.
  9. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I just gave up my driveways this year and went to all parking lots.. the way I charged was if I got $40 to plow and I had to do it twice I would charge $40 again if and I mean if I had to go a third time it was $0 for the third time. The way I see it is in ten years of driveway I probibly only had to plow all my drives 3 times during 3 storms other than that I had to do some of the first drives on my route a 3rd time because of my schedule not the storms demand... but there were lots more times that I got paid the $80 for two pushes that other people would only charge $60. All my customers seemed to understand that I do plow the same area each time I show up and should be paid the same.

If my customer called me because they had 1" of snow and wanted it cleared they got charged full price no matter how many times I had been out.