1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per inch bidding.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firedog, Jul 8, 2000.

1. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

Need help bidding per inch or per plowing. Last year I was always too high. How do you figure out per plowing? Do you estimate or guess(I hope not.)? I lot of my accounts were hourly. I did some per plowing, and everytime we had to replow due to more snow I charged the same amount. The customers were not happy. I was thinking about per inch 2-3,3-6,6+. Good, bad? Or would you consider this per plowing? I know that seasonal is the way to go and I do have 2 like of these.<br>Would using my hourly rate X approx number of hours needes work? But happens when you have to go back 2 or 3 times? <p>----------<br>Rob S.<br>

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I try to do everything on seasonal contracts. I have a few statements in my seasonal contacts to help me from being burned on big storms. <p>When i used to do stuff on a per push basis it was as followed.<p>Full charge for the first plow, plowed up to 4-5&quot;<p>Each return, ie every 4-5&quot; of accumulation the customer is charged half the cost.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

go to my web site to see a sample contract, it has some info about wording per push or per inch. www.thehousedoktor.com<br>we charge 0-3,3-6 and 6+, and then add a statement that we charge for the amount of snow present at each push, not storm totals.<br>What i use for a baseline is figure how long that it will take to plow the lot,X your hourly rate and then double it. That way you have a fudge factor and will still make some good money. We use $75.00 per hour as a base line, and then double that figure<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I went back to the post I made when we were all talking about pricing the job with all the trailer doors (Help on a very large bid). I second the comments about seasonal rates. Per push rates - you either starve or just keep up with your expenses.<p>I wrote:<br>Now that we are talking hourly rates, I thought I would add my comments. The job seems intimidating at first. The trailers parked helter/skelter complicates matters more. When I look at a job, I base the price on receiving $110-125.00 /hour for my truck and time. You may say B.S., and other readers may too, but if you figure the captial cost of the rig that must be recovered over a short plowing season, the rate is not high, it is required. Part B of my pricing equation is to figure my time and then add 15% for Profit and Risk. I am rarely turned down, and most people notice you were there, not how long I was there.<p>Dino's method above is similar, and gets us to the same place pretty much. The other thing I factor in my pea brain is the (unproductive) drive time between jobs - I want them no further apart that about 2 minutes on average.<p>----------<br>John<br>

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You know, another thing that ihave seen done and we added it, is that when doing per push pricing, if we have a month when we recieve no sustantial snow fall, we will bill for 2/<br>0-3&quot; plowings to cover over head costs, and ensure the level of service that you expect from us.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org