1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Per Event Price

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by finallygot1, Oct 27, 2010.

1. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Bidding on a Nursing Home and they would like to see a per event price. I have no problem with it as it seems like a good way to price a 24 hr operation. If I figure 2"-3" can be cleared in 2 Hrs, I would charge $100. Would you guys be kind enough to give me some ideas on per event pricing. I am bidding salt as applied so salt is not an issue.
    Also on a 24 hr operation, is the "event" a 24 hr period?

Thanks in advance.

2. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

2 hours of work for $100??? Don't know what your area gets but my subs get more than that...

3. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Sorry i was asking for opinions on how to price it at $100, not what you pay your subs.

4. Rifleman1st

Rifleman1st Junior Member

I bid mine on a 2" trigger. If I clear the lot and another 2" falls thats another event.

5. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

I might be confused, I thought "event" pricing was for the amount of snow that comes down in a certain period. For example if 9" comes down in a 24 hr period, I would be billing based on the 9" regardless of how many passes it takes to keep it clean.

6. Rifleman1st

My contracts read: per plow... not per event

Example: 2-4" $100 4-6" $125 6-8" $150 per plow

If I go into the lot and theres 5" of snow I bill $125. If another 3" falls after I'm done I bill another $100

7. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Thanks, my problem is that this is a 24 hr operation that needs certain areas "wet" at all times,I should never be arriving that there is 3"+ on the pavement.

8. Rifleman1st

I would bid an account like that hourly... Just my .02 cents

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Per event is just that. If snow falls for a day and a half. Thats one event. I do event pricing for driveways. That way If I come twice or 3 times customer doesnt have to worry about how much is this going to cost me. What I do is have a per event under 6 inches price and a per even over 6 inches price....etc This way I make a little more when storms are more work. Works out well for me.

Bruce

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You'll need to get their definition of what "per event" means. The term per event means different things to different people.

Some consider per event the duration of a weather event, or total snowfall from said event.

Some consider per event a particular frame of time (a 24 hour period).

Some call per event each time they will plow or service a property.

I too must challenge you on charging a client $100.00 for 2 hours of plowing. :dizzy:

11. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

TCLA,

I am thinking that 2 hr is going to be on the high side. We have many wh**res in our area and they are not the kind that walk the street at night. I might be wrong on the time but I have looked at the job with some other guys in the area that don't need anymore work, they say the job will support between $100-$125 for a 3" plow.

12. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I also charge per 24 hr period......If a storm lasts for 1 1/2 days that would be two charges.. If it snows more than 12 " in a period I charge 1 1/2 times my rate...

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We have both kinds here in Detoilet...but that's another story.

Good for you if you can do it that cheap and still make money. It's only my opinion is that charging $100.00 for two hours of plowing is under valued.

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You have been hanging around Mark Oomkes to long....:nod::help:

15. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Agreed. My Comm. contracts are on a 3" trigger. Each push is billed as an event.

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Let me try an explain things for you. Per push is every time you show up and push off the lot, that is one charge. Per event is total snow fall per your contract, or the customers specifications. I suggest you try and agree on a per event being a 24 hour period from 12:00 am to 12:01 am on a daily basis. If you do this you still need to have a trigger set up as to how often you need to be there and plow. So if you have a 2 inch trigger, every 2 inches you need to be there and push off the lot. So that being said come up with a price structure to cover yourself. I would never plow for 2 hours to make 100 dollars, but I don't know your costs, and don't expect you to know mine. I would set up a 2 to 3.9, 4 to 5.9, 6 to 7.9, increment schedule. If 2 to 3.9 is going to take you 2 hours to plow 2 inches, than it's going to take you 4 hours, because you will have to plow it twice with a 2 inch trigger. Take that example and plug in your numbers and price it from there.

17. Rc2505

I forgot to add, anything 8 inches or more, I would agree on an hourly price. Also make sure you and your customer agree on how the total snowfall will be determined. Wether it be you taking a picture of a yardstick in the middle of the lot, or if you use NOAA, or the local paper totals, or whatever. Just make sure you both agree on where the total comes from, or you will be forever fighting about the billing.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Not if your agreement is per event. Are you willing to plow, repeat plow & three-peat plow for $100.00 total during an 18 hour snow event? Understand what their definition of per event is.

It must be the on site measurement. Only hammerheads demand that the "official" snow total amount for a particular site be recorded from another site. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

19. Rc2505

TCLA, I completly agree the best way to do it is an on-site measurment, I am just trying to get him to understand the importance of agreeing on the determination of the measurment.

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I realized that. You brought up a very important point, and I understand where you were going with it....we can only hope the op did.

The hammerhead classification was not directed at you sir. My apologies if interpreted otherwise. :)