1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

per bag price plus time?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jrmyj1, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jrmyj1

jrmyj1 Junior Member

i bid a job out for salt and priced it out $7 per bag they supply the salt plus our hourly plow rate. is that the norm or do most people just get the price per bag.

2. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Well what does a new bumper, brake lines, tailgate, wireing plugs, and any exposed parts cost? There has to be a built in price factor to cover what will need replaced in the upcomming weeks. Salt is HARD on your truck, no matter how much you wash it. I do per bag plus service fee to get me onsite every time I need to service the account..
  3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Dont be shy ,,. he's right . What would you do with 2 '' of sleet and freezing rain?
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Even if it DOES cost me some time and gas to get my own salt, I am STILL charging $15 for a bag that costs just under 4. That is 11 bucks markup on the material, and I KNOW it doesn't cost me 4 dollars per bag to get. you DEFinitely need more.
    On a sidenote, I'm not sure, but I think I dump 50# in about 45 seconds. I'll have to check again.
  5. Birdjr

Birdjr Junior Member

I charge $25 per 50# bag of salt.
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Wow....I wish we could get that here! I am paying 3.99 per 50# bag this year, and/or 3.42 by the pallet.
  7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

any time you buy ANYTHING for $X and sell it for $XX you are in the retail buisness and better charge sales tax to the customer and you better have a retailer tax I.D. #

i charge for salt what i pay, but i charge an inflated price per hour to spread and it is seperated and noted on the bill, we'll spread 50+TON per year
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That's essentially what we're doing. It is he delivery and spreading that is the markup. No different than doing our fert. and chem., or mulching and landscape stock.