1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

People who plow drives also shovel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rcplowguy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. rcplowguy

rcplowguy Junior Member

Hey guys I am trying to see how many people that plow drives also shovel?
    If you do shovel how far do you go when shoveling? Do you just shovel from the drive to the front door or do you also shovel sidewalks out by the road? Thanks guys! Rich
  2. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

im in high school I shovel for landscaper and the owner plows the from of the driveway just where the city plow piles up the snow in the front. and then he has 2 industrial sized snowblowers. I shovel the stairs paths and help with the cleanup where the snowblowers missed.
  3. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

only one of my accounts do i shovel at. and since its only one i am the shoveler too :-(

i have to clear 5 sets of steps on a multi family home. bought a big thesnowplow.com shovels and just start at the top pushing down the steps.
  4. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

i shovel if the customer wants to pay. but i always shovel a path to mailbox people really appreciate that
  5. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

s. donato how do u like the snowplow.com shovel? what size did u get?
  6. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

We both plow and shovel. Some accounts want us to do everything and some only want the drive or some sidewalks done. Just depends on the account. Most of them we run the 4 wheelers though and then clean up with the SNOWPLOW shovel.
  7. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

love the shovel its more of a pusher though b/c you really can't lift anything with it. :redbounce

i got the 36" and its perfect for a 48" stairs with surface mounted rails. Thumbs Up and its great for big walk ways. however on a 36" wide walk way a 30" would make more sense. so i may have to get that next year if i get a job with a 36" walk.

i will probably get one of the ~24" for next season.

oh and it breaks up ice wonderfully!!!!
  8. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I shovel if customers ask and there's an additional charge for that service. I shovel as far as they want and as far as they pay. I never advertise shoveling and prefer not to do it although it is nice to stretch the legs once in a while. In my area, which doesn't have sidewalks, it's usually a short path from the driveway to their front door and the area the plow doesn't get in front of their garage door, if they have one. It usually takes about 2-3 minutes for shoveling during an average storm.
  9. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Every single one of my houses gets the walkway shoveled and i try to plow out or shovel out the mailbox. its extra work but it justifies keeping your prices high and can make you look better against the competition. if im going to do snow removal might as well be full service.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

for big storms we have blowers and the small storms we either shovel or use a single stage toro. right in front of the garage gets shoveled as well as walkways and sidewalks
  11. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

v-scrapes I couldnt agree more! if someone is willing to pay me good money for "snow removal" I dont want them to have to shovel anything after i leave
  12. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

We don't do much residential.... Only 3 trucks (including my jeep) are dedicated to residential accounts when it snows. The other two drivers take a shoveler with them. By the time the drive is plowed, all necessary shoveling is done and they are on their way.

I fly solo in my jeep, so I hop out and shovel the walk up to the front door and shovel up near the garages where i can't get the snow with the plow. I do have one account where I spend a majority of my time as the property is rather large. I keep snowblower, shovels, icemelt, walk behind spreader, in one of the client's garages. I shovel out all their entryways to the home and then use the snow blower on the back patio and walkways on the side and behind the house. I also shovel out the pool house as well so when it thaws the water doesn't run inside the doorways there as well. I spend nearly 2 hours at that property each event. It's quite the job, but it pays VERY WELL! Shovel out the mailbox at the street, and at the front gates to make sure they work properly.
  13. thatlittleguy?

thatlittleguy? Member

I shovel two of the properties I plow. Just a path to the door one. The other I do the steps to the back deck, and a path to the back door. I hate getting out of the truck, but the one to the door is an elderly couple, and the other one pays me well for the service.
  14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

All dependent on the price, and the customer. They pay extra for walkways, but if they're a good customer (pays on time, no unjustified complaints, etc...) then I'll do more shoveling. I might get out and pull snow away from the trash cans or whatever else is there, I might scrape up the packed snow on the driveway, toss out some handfuls of salt...just do whatever I can to provide the best possible service. These people pay my bills all winter, they deserve a little more than 5 minutes of my time, plus they all know I'm busy so they're very patient when their driveway isn't done 20 minutes after the snow stops. I'm sure they could find someone cheaper, so I'll just try to be better.
  15. rcplowguy

rcplowguy Junior Member

Great responses

I am getting some great responses you guys, thnaks. I love this site.
  16. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I clear the sidewalk and front walkways for a few customers. But they pay dearly for it. Sometimes I use a snow blower, sometimes I shovel, it depends on the amount and type of snow. But the plowing customers I have that I do it for pay $22 and $30. It's more than enough to make it worth the extra 5-10 minutes.
  17. 89Comanche

89Comanche Member

Normally I will do the main walk way, if they request I will do the mailbox, and anything else they may want done.
  18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Everyone gets the mailbox done, usually with the big 7.5' yellow shovel...the B.S. the postal service tells you about rain, sleet, hail and snow is nonsense, if its not plowed out perfect, the mail won't come.
  19. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i only shovel certain people....

my aunt who had a stroke and her husband who just had a heart attack last weekend.
    one elderly lady who can barley see. she just has a small drive way. i only charge her $25 to plow and shovel and of course my grand mother...

besides that NO! it's not a service i offer. it takes to long and i don't have the time. i'm a one person operation and i have enough business to keep my self really busy when the snow falls.
    there's plenty of kids around here that will shovel peoples yards for $10
  20. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

We shovel in front of the garage door, clear out the mail-box as best we can on every drive. This is part of the basic fee for plowing a driveway. If the customer wants to do it themselves, etc. that's ok but doesn't reduce the charge.

On an upcharge we will do sidewalks, city sidewalks, front doors, etc. Heck, if they want to pay I'll clear off the whole yard, etc. I get paid to perform a service, I'd prefer to use the truck more and my shovel less but offering top-notch service is how I keep the lowballers at bay areound here.