1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

People Whit digtial Camera's only?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bassmaster, Jan 17, 2003.

1. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

I was Wondering you guy's with digital camera's Have? I have picture's to share and I don't have a clue on what to get?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What I have is a very early Ricoh, the resolution stinks! My friend has an Olympus that takes great pictures with a replacable photo file card. With this you can fill up the memory, then just pop in a new card if you can't download right away. I'm planning to get one like it, runs about $450.

Another friend has a Sony that he's real happy with. I don't know the model numbers on either.

You can get a digital camera for as little as $70 up to $1000 depending on the quality and features you want.

3. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

HUGE SELECTION

There are soo many new and nice cameras out there and they keep going down in price. I have a sony cybershot (dsc-P51) and
    it has done everything that I wanted it to do. Shop around and take advice from people who use them alot. Also, if you have pics that you allready have, check into a scanner. Also, you can take them to a printing place and they can put them on CD for you..
    LOTS of options..... LOTS!!

4. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

Thank you alway's for your .02 cents

5. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Depends on what you want to shoot? If you just want to post 640x480 internet photos then all you need is a 2 megapixel camera (last years mainstream) , decent ones for $100 range now. good for up to 5x7" prints. All will have "digital (fake) zoom", look for one with a lens zoom.
    Go to 3 megapixel (mainstream now) for higher resolutions and prints up to 8x10 (I believe). I got a Kodak DX3900 for 199.00. It's nothing special but simple and easy to use (what I wanted).
    The high end is 4 megapixel and they are $300+ .
    5's are coming out for around 1000.00.
    FWIW

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Considerations might be how many pictures does the included memorystick hold? How much does a memory stick cost if you decide you need added photo capacity? The one that came with my camera only held 16 photos and that was not enough for me, so I bought a 64 meg stick which holds about 100 photos (if my memory serves me right). Does the camera include a battery charger (car and/or home chargers are available, strongly consider buying one if it is not included)? As was mentioned, megapixel rating is important, too.

With the software included with my camera downloaded onto my computer, I can plug my camera into a USB port and the pictures are downloaded in a matter of seconds so I can view or manipulate the photos, send them by email, etc.

I have a Sony, my dad has a Kodak. We are both very happy with them. Although they may seem a bit difficult at first to use, I think most are probably pretty easy to get the hang of. Like anything else, find something you like. I don't think you will go wrong as long as you choose a major brand. I highly recommend the Sony if you don't already have a brand you are loyal to but I have not used anything else to compare it to.

John

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I bought a JVC camcorder with a digi cam built in.
    I love the thing for taping my daughter, but certin times it sucks.
    People think your video taping them when you really just want to get a pic.

Best of all, you dont have to wait untill thay get developed to realize the pic you took sucks... View it then & just take another.

2 meg. are great for 5x7's.
    So yer printer sucks... Take the memory card to Kodak, Kinko's & let them print it up for a buck.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I got the wife a Sony FB Mavica for last year. She uses it mainly to put pictures on Ebay and take family pictures. Don't know the technical stuff, but she can use a regular disc in it for storage and transfer to the computer. If I remember, it was about $300. With prices going down for electronics, it's likely quite a bit less now.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try to find one that comes with rechargable batteries,and not the permanent internal ones.This way your not buying batteries all the times (they eat them up FAST !),and you can just throw in a couple of AA's if the rechargable ones die on you.

Also,some of the newer cams now come with docking stations,where you just plop the camera on and it automatically downloads the pics,and charges the batteries.

Kodak makes some nice ones,in the 2-4 Megapixel range,and they you buy the dock,which comes with th rechargable batteries as well.Most of these come with 8-16 MB so they hold enough pics to get started,and you can get a memory card later to be able to take more.They also sell a travel kit,which comes with case,card storage,and a second set of rechargable batteries,and a mini portable tripod.

The memory cards,as a general rule of thumb,will hold 1 pic per MB at high resolution,or 2 pics per MB if you add compression.If your just taking general pics you can drop the resolution down some to fit more on a card.I always use High-Res,high compression,with a 256 MB card,gives me about 500 pics.Having that many available sounds like a lot,but you can snap away all day long,and then just pick the ones you like later.Hence the need for rechargable batteries.

10. neighborguy

neighborguy Junior Member

Just befre Christmas, the wife and I bought a Sony DSC-S85 from Sony. IT is a 4 megapixel with a ton of stuff that I really didn't need but got it for the price of the 3 megapixel. The camera prices aren't that bad until you add on a second battery, memory cards, memory card reader (saves your battery life and wear and tear on the camera), USB cable, and any other accesories that you realize you need. All in all we are happy, especially with the Circuit City account opened. That got us the 18 months no interest financing. Makes it a little easier.

11. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I have the Sony DSC S75, which is 3.3 megapixels and I like it alot. I have the 8mb memory stick it came with and I get around 120 pics on the stick at 640x480, or about 25 pics at 1600x1200. I stick with the 640x480 because the pics look great for internet use. But what I like best is that the camera hooks up through the USB port and becomes a drive that you can cut, copy, past, etc.. I also like that I can just put the memory stick in my printer and print the pictures directly or I can download them from the printer. The price was reasonable and the quality and features are great (has a great digital zoom).

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I have a Fuji 602Z, Retail was around $690.00 plus accessories I purchased amounted to just under $1,000.00.

Regular pictures are 3.1 meg I believe, optical zoom is up to 6.0 meg. Takes great pictures, I print more 8 X 10's so with the higher meg-a-pixel I can achive the size I want without pixelazation (sp).

Bassmaster, Shoot me an email we are neighbors across the state line.

Rick

13. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Kodak CX4300
    3.2 megapixels

14. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I have a combo like Got grass. Works great. It is nice to have both in the same package. Mine is a canon and is very small and takes great pictures.

15. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

I have the Sony Digital Mavica, works great! That reminds me I need to take a pic of my truck and plow. Will try to do that soon..... The Sony Mavica is nice and convenient, you can easily download your pics to your computer and save them. Editing and cropping is also easy to do w/ it. Later, Hawkz