1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

people say im crazy but im human

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sm04257, Jan 17, 2013.

1. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

i plow mine and my daughters driveways every year with my atv. this year my neighbor which is an elderly woman was trying to shovel her drive,she has 3 sons and they dont shovel her drive, so i make it a point to plow her drive which only takes 2 passes and about 5 minutes. one of her sons asked me how much have i been charging her to plow , i told him i havent charged her, i do it out of kindness since she is elderly and a widow.he didnt say anything else just left. the storm we just had i went to plow and the woman came out and tried to pay me she said her son said she should pay me , i told her noo just keep her money that she could make me a pie or something. when i got done with my daughters drive the woman came over with a fresh baked apple pie. to me the kindness paid off. i use an atv on the drive so its not much time or money involved.should i have taken the money i do a few drives i get paid for so it all comes out to me i think

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You should've taken the pie and smashed it in the son's face...........although it would've been a shame to waste a good pie.

3. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I agree 100% there needs to be more people like us. And the son is a jerk

4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

The neighbor at my cottage always plows out the top of our driveway for us so we can get in off the road. He has never asked for money and when I asked how much I owed him he said "its just what neighbors do"

We usually pay him a couple hundred each season and a nice bottle of wine. We never speak of the money, but I pay him to help cover his fuel and repairs.

Enjoy then Pie!

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I would have kicked the son in the nads and sped off. Obviously he did not get the point kindness otherwise he would take care of his mother.

6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

we need more people like you . the son came out to see how much you were getting so that he can take over from there . what a POS

. good man , keep it up .

7. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Actually the son wanted to know how much you're paid so he can sue you for something. He could be setting you up by telling his mom to pay you. Don't ever exchange money and watch your back with his kind.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you like apple pie?:)

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The Karma gods will shine their black asses down upon you, someday.....

or

You'll just do a lot of kind stuff for people around you in your circle of life, and never be appreciated for it.

Either way, welcome to the club, friend.

BTW, I agree with the above statements. The son is a real pineapple. He should be taking care of his own mother's welfare and not leave it up to the kindness of neighbors.

Yesterday, I was making funeral arrangements for my ailing mother. While there, the funeral director, myself and my wife were all talking about how people use other people for their own greed. his story he told me yesterday comes to mind:

They live in a somewhat wealthier neighborhood and next door is an older couple with no children. They do, however, have 2 nieces who's parents were passed on. For several decades the funeral director (call him Bill)'s wife was taking care of them, as there was no one else to do so. They both were old, couldn't balance a checkbook, and appointed his wife as P.O.A. for them, so they would be taken care of while they lived. His wife took care of everything, soup to nuts, including bills, bank accounts and all the home maintenance issues that came up, including snow plowing, by hiring contractors for them. This went on for several decades, as the husband and wife swore up and down that Bill's wife would be "taken care of" when they passed.

Well, up to present day america, and both of them passed. At the time of their death (wife passed last), the two nieces produced a will leaving them everything, and since when someone dies, so does your P.O.A. Bill's wife had no real recourse as she and her husband were left NOTHING. Everything was willed directly to the nieces, who made one yearly pilgrimage to these peoples home, yet they lived in the neighborhood, but never stopped in.

So..... no good deed goes unpunished ??? Well for some of us it does....

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thank you :)

11. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Maybe the 3 Son's are worried your taking advantage of her money because there wanting it for them selves when she croaks.

12. willshome

willshome Junior Member
    from mass

sm04257 maybe he knows what you are doing has value and knows she is doing ok with money. Do you know how much she wanted to pay (may have just been gas money)

13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I applaude you. Not many people are willing to do something like that these days, and when you try to most people end up being like her son.

You will have good karma... and some good pie.

14. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow my neighbors driveways with my truck all the time.. They always offer money but I reject it.

Sometimes they give it to my parents tho. SO they always find a way to cover my fuel costs. I dont mind helping out neighbors.
    But god bless you . WE do need more fellas like us around.

15. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Son is a POS he should be doing her drive and if he can't he should be offering to pay for it.

16. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

the new obummer inheritance law says uncle sam gets HALF of the empire . now thats what i call a POS law

17. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

It's insane that after paying for and raising a child from poop diapers to an adult the payback is to be put back in poop diapers and not even have your driveway shoveled

A few weeks ago a 10 year client of mine passed. I never really spoke to the wife only the husband. Sort of the old world man takes care of business thing. Never in 10 years any major issues. First I get a call from the daughter, she wants to dispute charges on the invoice that is 30 days past due. No story about times are tough, or woe is me, just straight up she feels I should give a discount because the husband passed. Nope sorry. A few days later the son calls. Good job, BMW driving, DB son. He feeds me this line about times are so tough with the economy, blah blah.

The deceased was very high up government with pension to boot. The wife owns and still runs a very successful cleaning company. So I'm not certain that things are that bad. Now if times are tough because their property taxes are 25K cause they live in an 800K home that is not my problem.

So the son goes on about how he is going to have to find a way to get there in snow storms to help his mom. She just cant't afford to continue our contract. Blah Blah. So I go against my instincts and agree to instantly release them from the seasonal contract. The whole time I'm telling myself I'm loosing this one. So 2 days ago it snows 5 inches. While doing my client quality checks I notice that this driveway was plowed. WTF I offered to work with the family through the times, and I have given them quality for 10 years. Had they been honest I still would have let them out, but with the cancellation clause effecting. This is just an example I run into crafty DB sons all the time.

I still have not been paid from December.

18. TehTDK

TehTDK Junior Member
    from Denmark

shovelracer, I would send them one last warning to pay the bill and then send them to collections just for being idiots and unfair to you.

You have been nothing but fair and honest with them, but at the same juncture they stabbed you in the back.

19. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Indeed :nod:

20. camp61

camp61 Member

An apple pie is great. I received a half gallon Vodka. Good stuff too!
    I'm a firm believer that we have to take care of our elderly. If I can help with my truck and plow I will.
    A long time friend asked my to do the snow removal at his parents house. Wanted to know how much. Now his sister lives two miles away and her husband doesn't make the effort to help so, I gave them a deal for $25 to clear their drive and yard (two stall behind house and very tight). I plow, shovel and salt. They are in their 80's and both in walkers.
    I have another buddies mother lives on the road to this other job. I just stopped and back dragged a couple of times and she was very happy, hence the vodka.
    Anyway, most elderly can afford to hire but they grew up in the 30's and 40's and snow removal was something you did, not paid for. You did it yourself.
    I applaud you for helping, without being asked!