1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

People pull over for your lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Just wondering how many of you have had people pull over to the side of the road when thay see you comming?

I counted one morning 6-8am, 18 people pull to the side & slow down/stop for me. Normally I keep it off unless the houses are close together, or there is a lot of hidden side roads & snow banks.

When plowing we are required to have a 360degree amber light. Some have them some dont. I have the Federal Signal Highlighter mini light bar with the fast rotors. 1/2 the time people dont even bother to get outta the way for emergency vehicals, but a amber hazard light? Are these people color blind from to much Red & Green (what ya have to pull over for) over the holidays?

I'm starting to think I sould use this thing more often if it gets the crazies outta my way...
    :rolleyes: If that dosnt say something about the Highlighter I dunno what will.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2002
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

required ??????? what u talking about ?????? maybe 10 out of every 50 trucks run them. We use them during the day only and thats for our own safety.

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

I remeber reading that in NY you are required to have an amber hazard light on any truck that has a dump and opearates on any public or state road.. Dont rember the plowing part of it ?
    In NJ we are not allowed to use the hazard lights unless we work for the state or municipality and have a contract from them and get approved fro a permitt to use the light.. They just dont care about us I guess...

4. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

I have undercover strobes on my f-150 and everyone gets out of my way!

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Is this a city ordinance?

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have 4 hideaways, and a slimlighter on the dash. i noticed 3 or 4 people pull over and let me pass this past storm. I always have all the strobes on when plowing. If its low visibility i will keep them on when driving. i do have a permit. When im driving in the storm and visibility isnt too bad ill just leave the slimlighter on so oncoming traffic sees me better.

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Ok, sorry to confuse everyone. I did hear it was a law somewhere.. I guess it's some really old expired local one.

I did a search about the law... Your allowed to use them tho.
    I did read about the NYS dump body while plowing roads light thing.

For us local guys I was kinda shocked to relize everywhere that requires plow permits.
    Amherst
    Williamsville
    City of Buffalo
    Depew
    Hamburg
    Tonawanda Town
    Tonawanda City
    kenmore
    Akron
    Cheektowaga

& I'm sure some others.
    I have all the ones I need.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2002
  8. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

i think amherst and cheektowaga are the only ones who really check permits

9. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

In CT I believe and I could be wrong, but if you do have a flashing light you must have a state permit if not I think a $78 fine.... but unable to confirm that you must have a flashing light to plow....

So I stayed on the safe side and decided no flashing strob for now .... the areas and times that I have been plowing does not seem to need me to give the state any more money than I have to......

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Around here it seems that the police like to see them on while driving. A few years ago, my buddy got pulled over and recieved a stern warning from a local cop about the importance of an amber light, said it was the law, and to at least use flashers. Ever since then i just drive with mine on. I've passed many police cars and never got a second look. Im not sure if it really is a law, however.

GotGrass? Where did you look for you laws? was it online?

11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Finnegan, Havent been asked yet to show a permit. Doubt anyone really cares, But the $250 fine you could get It's worth the $15 a year permit. In 16yrs. I'm sure I'd get stopped at least once. So it's worth it in the long run.

Snowchevy, lol...
    Do a search on the web for "your town" & "goverment" or "town code"
    Looked up the law's on the NYS DMV web site's links.
    Local/towns law's I found the web sites off the county's page.

12. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

GSLAM88, You are right in CT you are required to have a permit for a flashing light, all you do is go to the motor vechiel office in Wethersfield and get the permit, fill it out, have the police chief or fire cheif in your local town sign off on it and then just send in $7.00 per light with the application and you will get back the permit in the mail, It is just good to have, I never leave my lights on when I am out on the road but it is a good idea to have the permit I guess. Just my two cents

13. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Tonawanda is real hard on snowplowers.

GG i still don't and probably never will have any permits in Amherst.

14. turfguy

turfguy Member

What a simple idea to promote safe opperation. and the stupid state wants there $$$$ only in ct would they charge you to have a amber warning light on a service truck. what next a 10$ fine if you dont have a spare tire. The big place the permit comes in is when you get stoped for a state truck inspection then if you dont have the permit and the amber beacon is visable... bam....78 bucks.

15. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

i have never heard of a law requiring the use of lights while doing snow removal. i highly doubt that police would stop you in the middle of a storm to ticket ya.

if so, how would they catch you, anyway, seeing we have 4wd and they don't.

16. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

greenworld,

you have not looked around the CT area lateley.. all the towns have at least 1 4x4.. my town has an old blazer mid 80's or so and then they just got a exploer expidition forgot which ..have passed it only once....

turfguy... the chances of my pickup truck getting pulled over for DMV inspection is very very low, but if I was plowing with my 4900 international I would probably get the permit... just trying to keep more in the pocket then to have rolland start taking it out like the diesel tax

Pete

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

hey greenworld, ever hear that the radio travels faster than you ever will. If they want you, they'll get you.

Thanks Gotgrass, ill serach for my dmv page :)

18. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Cmon turfguy. ITS $7.00. You can find that amount in the street. My guess is that just covers the paperwork and processing fee. I know more than half the guys out there dont have the permit, but i figure if i was ever in an accident or something, it would be a good back up to show i had all my paperwork in order. the firecheif was very happy to sign my permit.

19. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

I have never had a problem with my lights! I never have my lights on while driving on the public streets. The only time I use them
    is when im plowing an account! But usually, a commercial lot,
    In the front, i leave my lights on, in the back, I turn them off to save power! Why do some of you guys have your lights on whille driving on the road?

Ultimate lawns and more,

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well i used to plow for a town with strobes on my truck town crest on the door and people still got right on my back while clearing interesections.But now on my own i have a 8 strobe light bar and still i get no response.Noth that i would want them to pull over but to be aware that i'm carring a steel blade wider than the truck I would rather run with them on for saftey reasons then not and have some yahoo say they could not see me.