1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

People GET ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS DONT GET STIFFED!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rclay11541, Oct 27, 2004.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

All you guys that are actual businesses. A pice of advice go to your bank and ask them to set you up for accepting credit/debit cards. Works great especaily if its an unexpected snow storm and your bang on doors. Some people don't keep cash on them and i don't like personal checks.

Just my 2C

2. rainair

rainair Senior Member

mastercard/visa

take em.... put it right in the contract or flyers payup

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

been doing it for the last 2 years, this year I am switching to monthly CC billing instead of checks

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Guys...Credit cards are a good idea. I have been accepting them at my bar/hotel/motel/rest. operations for years......

BUT............There are pitfalls.........

Mr customer has 60 days in most states to DISPUTE any charge. And YOU are the one who waits for the $$$.
    They can whine for ANY reason and YOU can and will get stiffed out of your money.
    Any excuse will work for Mr. customer as far as the card company is concerned. ............. Its NOT THEIR MONEY !
    And YOU get backcharged.............

I go thru this several times a year at my places.

Lets not forget card processing companies charge anywhere from 1 to 5% per transaction PLUS most have monthly charges also. YEAR ROUND !

Just something to think about.........geo

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

agree!! One phonecall to the CC company and a statement like "they didn't do the job as we agreed" then you don't get paid. Especially if its the last storm of the season and the biggest one. You know a few hundred bucks. They'll dispute it and figure they'll get someone else to screw next year.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Cant do a "Charge Back" on cash! payup

7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We ONLY accept credit cards, unless from the homeowner's association. Worth every penny in fees to avoid the account reconciliation, billing, and other hassles. 5 mouse clicks bills the whole storm. The software allows multiple rate codes, one time adjustments, and does real time account verification to prevent us from being defrauded. this is our 5th season using this approach, and we won't ever go back.

8. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

My parents have a business and they accept credit cards. If the customer complains then the credit card company contacts you to find out your side of the story. If the customer is wrong you get your money. My parents have gone through many of them and haven't lost one yet knock on wood.

9. rainair

rainair Senior Member

credit cards

we had a farm market... so we have the mach. can set up different business codes and it goes right in to the bank...
    just a word of caution! make sure you get a swipe or a imprint of card and their signature... or they can refuse the sale... a local pizza place got caught on that one.. to a tune of 6k with 9 stores... [national brand but franchisee]