1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Penndot earnings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brandon C., Dec 29, 2009.

1. Brandon C.

Brandon C. Junior Member
    from PA

Hey everyone Im looking into getting a job at Penndot an was wondering if anyone knows what the pay rates are for a full time snow plower/road worker in the summer? Ive been told its a good paying career to have with the benifits, retirement, an pay. I cant really find anything about pay though an was hoping someone would help me out. Im really into snow plowing been going out with my cuz for years now an now 17 im doing some here an there with him now an would love to make a career out of it. Any advise would be welcome.:drinkup:

2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Not sure about pay but jobs like that are usually well worth it if you can get in, benefits and retirement make them quite appealing

3. Brandon C.

Brandon C. Junior Member
    from PA

thats what i look at the benifits are really important to me along with pay. Im sure there must be some Penndot workers here to shine some light on the picture.

4. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

If you're really serious about it, stop by and fill out an application.

5. Brandon C.

Brandon C. Junior Member
    from PA

as soon as i turn 18 im gonna highly think about it.

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Isn't as easy as just stopping by the local garage and filling out an application, here's what you need to know

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdBOP.nsf/DivClassifHomepage?OpenFrameset&Frame=main&Src=infoGeneralEmployment?ReadForm

Some of the non-civil service jobs will give you an idea on the pay scale.

Another idea to get experience is to apply for work at state owned universities, here is a list of them, if you were to get a job at a university the SERS pension plan will transfer to a different state agency

http://www.passhe.edu/universities/Pages/default.aspx

Penn State also falls under the SERS retirement without being a directly funded state university.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

A buddy of mine works for Penndot for 3 years now. He never told me exactly how much he makes, but he said its not nearly what everyone tends to think they make. He said depending on your experience, position applying for, who you know, etc. don't expect to start out at anything over $12 an hour. He said that you usually have to work your way up to become a plow truck driver.

Again, this is what I remember him telling me. I would suggest finding out first hand.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Pay....not much! I bet you will start out somewhere around 9 bucks an hour. I used to work for the state of pa as a mechanic and I started at 12ish. We received a union book with all the benni's, every dept.'s pay rate etc. and I think it was around there.

9. dist15ff

dist15ff Junior Member

One of the main factors in getting a job is the county you live in, or apply to. The bigger the county the better the chance of guys retiring and positions opening up as there are more employees in the larger counties. When you first get hired as an operator you will start out as a temp and work from usually September to April, again depending on the county. Like I said you may get hired full time your first year as a temp or it could take a few years. As far as the pay I would assume it should be the same statewide as it's all a union contract. I believe the starting pay is still $14.85 per hour but each year you go back you'll get pay increases per the contract.

10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My buddy worked for peendott for a school thing he said they had like 3 different pay scales. Sonething like $10 $14 and $17 Guys that were there for 30yrs were only making somethink like $17 per hour. Not sure about benifits and stuff but I am sure they are pretty decent