1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Penetrating oil test

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CARDOCTOR, Apr 10, 2009.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what about Fluid Film?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They were afraid of FF!
  4. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I have been using AeroKroil for about a year and it works great. I also bought a case of Fluid Film and use it to protect from rusting and lubricating things. Didn't think FF was a penetrating oil. some one correct me if I am wrong.
  5. grandview

It is ,just takes a little longer because it's a little thicker.
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

We been get free kroil from Uncle's brother.

It great but it so so expensive stuff.

I will try that ATF mix with acetone and test on our f350 and 92 e250
  7. grandview

Mill, your FF was free and you didn't use,so why are you using the other stuff if it's so expensive!

Maybe put it next to the fish tank also.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  8. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

9. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

Where can you buy Kroil at. My buddy used to get it from Ford it is the best I ever used.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Humm you learn something everyday.
    ATF has a high detergent content ( another B&B fact ) try it on oil spots in the driveway. Acetone will practically take the chrome off a trailer hitch. So it make's sense that it will penetrate rusted surfaces..
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Another great penetrant is wintergreen oil. Try it, you'll like it!
  12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I hear Coke Cola will take rust off bolts. How come they didnt compare that?
  13. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Fluid Film is the product you want to use when the others don't work. It takes longer because it is thicker, but because it doesn't evaporate it will eventually loosen just about anything. It just needs time...
  14. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Believe it or not, Coke and Aluminum foil will take rust off chrome. I saw it on a home remedy list one time and it took the rust right off of my nerf bars.
  15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Try Coke on your corroded battery terminals- leave on for a minute then rinse with water. Takes the corrosion right off. Imagine what that stuff does to your stomach....:dizzy:
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It isn't even necessary to use Acetone in the mix of you don't have any. Diesel fuel or Kerosene works just the same as your just using it as a "carrier" for the ATF, it's the ATF that causes the magic. Been using it for years....

Synthetic gear oil mixed with a little fuel or kerosene also makes a great long term lubricant for things like door/tailgate hinges or anything of that nature when your out of Fluid Film (doesn't apply to GV). The synthetic gear oil give you the long term protective coating/lubrication and the fuel or kerosene is your carrier. Works best at a 50/50 mix and dispensed from a squeeze bottle.
  17. grandview

That's right BB!
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

My Grandpa was a plumber and when they had to pull well pumps the well head bolts would be to rusty to remove

So you got 2 cans of Coke, dumped one on the well head and drank the other and by then you could get the bolts right off;)
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If I mix acetone and ATF, will it melt a plastic spray bottle?
  20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the paper thin see through ones yes but the white colored ones will usually hold up.