1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pegged Speedo????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KTripp, Dec 15, 2002.

1. KTripp

KTripp Junior Member
    from Oregon

My speedo just quit working on me. I changed the cable - it was obviously broke. After I put in the new cable, I'm going 70mph going out the driveway. I thought what the hell, maybe it was kinked and was spinning and releasing inside so I bought another one and exactly the same thing. I'm going 70mph down the driveway and 120 plus down the sideroads. :)

So is it either the speedo itself or something in the transfer case.

74 Sub, 4x4, 3/4ton, np203, 350

I can unhook and spin the cable at the xfer case and the speedo seems to work. I don't feel any binding in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

KT

2. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

Reply to spedo problem

Double check that you put the cable back into the right place, either the tranny or the transfer case. I've got a 400/208 and I can put the cable in either one. (mine is in the T/C) Also, when you say that you replaced the cable was it just the cable or the insert as well?

3. KTripp

KTripp Junior Member
    from Oregon

I replaced the whole cable, not just the insert.

I put the cable in where it was plugged in before. I couldn't find anything on the transmission to plug it into.